Delta grinder

Anyone have one of the Delta grinders (7", but I think one of the 6" grinders may have it too) with the horizontal groove on the inside part of the wheel guard that takes rests and other accessories? If so, I wonder if you could measure it for me. Distance below centerline of wheel, and distance inboard of wheel.

I picked up a Delta drill grinding jig that fits that grinder, and am wondering where to mount it on a non-Delta grinder.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Hi John, I do have one of those grinders. I'll try to take a picture of it tomorrow and see if I can get those measurements.

Do you have the paperwork that came with the drill grinder? I also have that and can make a copy if you need it.

John

Reply to
John Worman

Thanks, John. I do have a copy of the manual for the grinding jig which I downloaded from the OWWM website. I'd sure appreciate those measurements, though.

The jig is missing the rod with the ball handle and the drill length stop which slides on it, but those don't appear to be critical and should be easy to make.

Sounds like you have one of the drill jigs. How do you like it?

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

John: Did you receive the jpg copy of the owners manual c/w dimensions sent to your email? if not: dist below centerline = 2.5" (7" grinder) centerline of grinder wheel to inside face of slot (face closest motor)=1

35/64"

Peter M

Reply to
Peter Merriam

Hi John:

I too have one of the Delta drill grinding attachments. I got it at a flea market for $10. I think it's complete, but don't know for sure. I'd appreciate a copy of the instructions if you can send them.

One option, if you have a FAX, is to send it to my attention at (810)

766-6780

Or contact me at: snipped-for-privacy@umflint.edu and we can negotiate other means if that's more appropriate! Thanks,

Daniel A. Mitchell Univ. of MI - Flint Flint, MI

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Dan:

OWWM has a downloadable copy of that manual on their website, this should get you there:

If you have any trouble getting that, let me know and I can fax one I have

John

Reply to
John Martin

Got it! Thanks, John!

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Thanks for all the help.

I hadn't realized that measurements for mounting on a non-Delta grinder were included in the manual. Next time I'll remember to RTFM before I ask.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

John, I'm sorry I didn't make it to the shop like I thought I would. Do I read that you have all you need now, or would you still like a measurement and/or picture?

I have the drill attachment, but I will confess that I haven't used it. I found it under a pile of junk in a used store. It was covered with rust and I offered $1.00. It sat around my shop for a while. I wasn't even sure what it was.

Later I attended a meeting in Dallas and across the street was a tool store. I picked up a Delta catalog, and while thumbing through it, there it was. Now I knew for sure it was a drill sharpener. From them (or somewhere) I got a copy of the paperwork. A while later I stumbled onto the Delta grinder. I traded a double barrel shotgun for it. I shot the shotgun about once each 5 years. I use the grinder a lot. Part of the excitement of finding the grinder is that it would fit my sharpener.

I have a Drill Doctor, and it does a pretty good job, so the Delta attachment hasn't made it to the top of the job pile yet. I think it will probably do a better job than the Drill Doctor.

John

Reply to
John Worman

Have what I need. Thanks, John.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Hmmmm ... It seems the grinder in the manual offered is different than the one I have. I suspect mine is an earlier model, and definitely a Delta and not a Rockwell version.

The drill-holding portion (vise and drill feed mechanism) are nearly identical, with the long metal actuating handle tipped by a black plastic ball. This can be seen to produce the desired rotation action to grind the drill tip as desired. So far so good.

However, the support portion of my device is totally different. It has a cast protractor device (to set lip angle) below the swinging drill-holding portion. That's quite different han depicted in the manual presented, but understandable.

Below that is yet another rotating joint actuateded by a second long metal handle with another black plastic ball at the end (much like the one mentioned above). Thus the device has TWO long actuating levers. This second 'motion' seems to apply (or retract) the drill to/from the gringing wheel. However, there is NO detent or stop to control it, so there is no way to determine if the drill is in the correct location, or in ANY repeatable position.

Below this indeterminate 'motion' is a fork shaped cast iron mounting lug device, but it's unclear in what the orientation it is intended to be placed. It CANNOT be fastened to the inside of the grinding wheel guard where the normal rest is positioned. That geometry would not allow the grinding fixture to even reach the wheel. It seems to mount in some plane perpendicular to the FACE of the grinder guard. NO grinder I know of has ANY mounting face in that location.

Is anyone familiar with the older Delta drill grinders, how they worked, and how they mounted?

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Part of this sounds like the one down at school that is made by , or at least has the name on it, Atlas. Does the feed for the bit have a "sort of" micrometer thimble? and the bit holder is a "V" block clamp? That description of a long handle with a black ball on the end is what triggered this response. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Yes, that sounds exactly like it. The original responder offered a site to get a .pdf file of the manual for the Rockwell drill grinder ... .

This Rockwell grinder attachment is obviously some derivation (later, most likely) of the Delta attachment that I have. SOME parts are the same, exactly ... the rest is TOTALLY different.

It's quite possible that Atlas got into the act at some time too.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell