best machine paint

I should finish welding up a control cabinet for my Hardinge CHNC in a day or so.

What is the best paint and primer to use? Exact color match isn't critical to me, but I'd hate to see the paint job peal off. I'm sure some coolant will splash on it. Cabinet is made of cold rolled steel.

FWIW, I'll brush it on.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl,

I'm in the process of striping four layers of paint off my used Omniturn-Hardinge DV-59 CNC lathe using a citrus based stripper. I'm not sanding because the old paint is likely lead based.

I spent two hours the other day reading every Google Group posting and Hardinge restoration site I could find for paint recommendations. Based on people's experiences, I'll be using Sherwin-Williams Tile Clad, a water based two part epoxy with no isocyanates.

According to Sherwin-Williams, it's a "VOC compliant, two-package, epoxy-polyamide coating for use in industrial maintenance environments and high performance architectural applications. Chemical resistant - Dry film resists bacterial attack - Abrasion resistant - Low VOC."

It's used for coating metal, and is popular as a concrete garage floor coating. Cost is $45 for a gallon of part A and $45 for a gallon of part B. Not cheap, but after all the prep work I'm doing I'm not going to use cheap paint. They can tint the gray and I'll be applying it with a 3" wide roller. After curing, the epoxy paint is only about .004" thick per layer. The Sherwin-Williams web site has application notes - normal safety / health precautions must be taken when applying, but not the special equipment required as with some other paints and coatings.

Ed Ferguson

Reply to
edferg

You sold me. Is there any primer or special metal prep before painting this material? Where did you order it?

Thanks

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Can the local Sherwin Williams stores that sell house paint get this stuff?

Reply to
AL

I called my local Sherwin-Williams store and they stock Tile Clad. I'll need to review the info on their web site for prep & primer instructions (one poster said no primer is needed.) I do know it has to be applied at a temperature greater than 55 degrees. Mix small amounts at a time - you can't save it once it has been mixed.

Ed

Reply to
edferg

How do you like your Omniturn?

Gunner, Factory trained OmniTurn field service tech.

Gunner Asch

Hi Gunner,

I've phoned you in the past to see if you could find and broker an Omniturn for me. I got one off ebay a week ago and just got done testing the slides today (after replacing a bad floppy drive damaged in shipping).

The Hardinge DV-59 has a 3 phase Baldor motor and my garage is 2 phase, so I purchased a used Yaskawa GPD315-MVA017 Motor Drive and got the wiring diagram off the Omniturn web site. I need some help with the diagram and hope you don't mind if I give you a call.

Ed Ferguson Marysville, WA

Reply to
edferg

Please do. Do you hae the manual? Its simple enough to wire, if you have the proper plugs for the Misc. port at the back of the control

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Two Phase??? I presume you mean single phase two pole as in 120/240v 3 wire (+ ground) service.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Reply to
Mike Berger

How do you recommend applying epoxy paint? Can a smooth finish be obtained with brushing? I'd be hesitant to run epoxy paint through a spray gun for fear of it setting up inside and ruining the gun.

Also, can you elaborate on the process of baking the finish? What benefits do you get from baking? What temp do you want, how long do you bake it, and how soon do you bake after applying the paint? If using a heat gun, how do you apply the heat so you get the right temp without burning the finish?

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

I had poor results with the water based tile clad. The paint would run and sag. Final finish was dull. Really disliked the stuff.

OTOH The solvent based material works great. Shiny finish and has held up well on a lathe and several cabinets that I've painted.

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

I've sprayed lots of Rustoleum brand epoxy and had no trouble cleaning the gun. The solvent flashes off pretty quickly, but the epoxy itself is much slower to kick. In cool weather you can hold a quart or two of premixed paint in a covered pot for at least an hour.

Xylene does a good job for cleanup and is much cheaper than the Rustoleum thinner, which I use only for reducing the paint. I get the best finish when spraying by reducing a bit more than the can recommends.

Grainger's gets around $100 for a 2-gallon kit and shelf life of opened cans is pretty good, at least 4 or 5 years.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons