Hardinge Paint Purchase (long)

I started to buy some paint today for a Hardinge TFB we are restoring. Since I had some hardener and reducer I wanted the paint to match. I had Hardinge's paint color number G-7 from Sherwin-Williams so that is where I started. I knew the local "residential" paint store couldn't help me so I called the "industrial" S-W store. They couldn't use the paint code I had so I called Hardinge. They said G-7 was an internal number and gave me a much longer number. I then called the "industrial" S-W store back, where I was informed that I needed to talk to the "chemical" S-W store. They couldn't help me but suggested part of my paint code number "might" be a store number. They found the phone number for the store in Elmira, NY and I called them. No, they didn't make paint for Hardinge, the "chemical" S-W store in Rochester did. I then called Rochester, NY to learn they were the only source in the world for Hardinge paint. Yes, I could buy a gallon of their paint for $90.00, a quart of hardener for $50.00 and shipping would be $30.00. Whoa! $170.00 for just the paint on a lathe is way too much. No, they could not supply another store or anyone for that matter with a color formula. Only they could make the paint. I called the "automotive" S-W store and yes, they could make the paint that matched my hardener and reducer. I swung by with a small part for a color sample and the two quarts will be ready tomorrow and probably they can deliver it. I am pretty sure catalyized polyurethane will hold up to the cutting fluids a TFB will see though I know it wouldn't hold up to spray synthetic water based coolant. No wonder it takes so long to get a machine painted. It took two hours of phone calls just to order the paint. BTW, we are getting some very nice looking paint jobs with Rust-O-Leum marine enamel. It dries pretty fast, for an enamel, and has a great gloss. Price was right too at $5.00 a quart from the local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. Durabilty is an unknown but since we are painting drill press and a huge Famco arbor press it probably won't be an issue. These seldom see coolants. Leigh@MarMachine

Reply to
CATRUCKMAN

Leigh

I have a Hardinge CHNC to paint in a few months. It WILL see a lot of coolant. Do you know what I should use? Stuck with $170 from Hardinge? FWIW, this is a remanufactured machine direct from Hardinge and I'm putting a brand new control on it so I want it right. Hardinge has painted the main machine, I have control cabinets and accessories to paint.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Greetings Karl, I don't know how well Parker Paints will hold up but I'd give them a call. I have used their Marathon brand oil based paint and it has been the most durable paint I've ever used. I've used it on machine tools and it holds up very well to cutting oil and coolant. It is a little more expensive than some of the cheaper brands but not any more costly than other good paints. I used the stuff to paint the bottom of a boat once that I car topped and dragged up and down beaches to launch and even with that kind of abuse it held up well. Here's their web address:

luck, Eric R Snow

Reply to
Eric R Snow