Making A Pan?

I need a small, miniature, aluminum pan about 3/4" in diameter and 1/4" deep. Can anyone suggest how I would go about making a small item like that? Thanks.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

0) I, personally, would probably just turn it from round stock.

However, there are other possibilities which occur, depending on what tools you may have on hand.

1) Turn up a wooden mandrel and spin the aluminum to shape. (Making a rolled wire edge might be a bit tricky in that size, however.) 2) With a hydraulic press, you could machine up some dies from steel, and press it to shape. 3) With thick aluminum foil, just shape it around a wooden plug of the right size. (I've seen and used small disposable pans apparently made this way which I used for mixing small batches of epoxy and such. They were bought in batches of 100, used once, and discarded, along with the tongue depressors used for mixing the epoxy and catalyst.) 4-??) Probably lots of other ways, but these are the ones which come to my mind

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

What thickness?

I would just grab a 1" disk, toss it on a pile of sand and smack it in the center with a hammer a few times. A few more times if you need squarer edges and/or a flat bottom.

At the very worst, you could drill a 3/4" hole in a block of wood, use a

5/8" dowel and press them together with metal between.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Does it have to be aluminum? The first thing that comes to mind is an automotive freeze plug. They're cheap but I don't think you can get them in aluminum:

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Like Don mentioned, perhaps make a die set on a lathe. I made a set for 2" dia. x 1/4" copper end caps for a miniature boiler, but I'm terribly crude..just placed the copper sheet between them & squished 'em in a vise/beat 'em with a hammer ( worked though!)

Reply to
LeucoB

Well, you live and learn. Thanks for the idea, Keith.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

How fancy? Sounds like an aluminum cap to a 2-liter soda bottle.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Hammerforming. Clamp a disc of aluminum, about 1 1/4" dia, between two short pieces of 3/4" hardwood dowel. Take a hammer and peen the AL down over one of the dowel blanks. The metal will stretch and take the shape of the blank that it is peened over.

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady