Combining compressors

I am wanting to do some sandblasting in the future. (Like a trailer frame). Most pressure blasters with a large nozzle take a huge amount of air. I dont have 3 phase in my garage. Is it possible to run one compressor and another one into one line going to the blaster?

Reply to
stryped

Sure. Where I was employed we ran 3 150hp compressoers into a 4 inch line to get enough air to supply the plant.

It will work just as well with smaller compressors as long as the pressure switches are set somewhat near the same setting.

Reply to
sparky

find the blasting cabinet that you want to use, and look in it's specs on how much air you have to provide (psi & cfm). buy that sized compressor. you don't need 3 phase for a blasting compressor.

Reply to
chaniarts

My understanding that the small size blast cabinets require 15 CFM, which means you need a real 5 HP compressor. No three phase necessary.

The OP can run two compressors, but he needs to be mindful of their duty cycle.

Ignoramus23926

Can the electrical service to your garage take the load of all the compressor hp you will need? You'd have to assume that they all could try to start at the same time, doubling the current draw, or more!

You say "a" trailer frame. If you mean only one, then maybe you'd be better off simply getting a big air supply tank and waiting for it to pump up from time to time. Since you mention that you don't have 3 phase power, you could consider using a rotary converter to make your own 3 phase power, if you do have significant power available.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------

stryped wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Why do the compressors need to be set close to the same setting? Stagger the settings and let one be the lead compressor, and the second compressor will run only if the pressure continues to drop. That is the way we did it years ago at a shop worked at. We set the first compressor to come on at 150 PSI, then the second at 140 PSI. The second would rarely run. Every few months one of us would grab a screw driver and switch the settings so the second compressor became the lead. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Make sure the air from each is the same phase or they will cancel each other out and maybe tear a hole in the space-time continuum.

Reply to
Buerste

I am talking about a pressure pot type blaster, not a blast cabinet.

Reply to
stryped

Arent those expensive? I have 100 amps to my garage.

Reply to
stryped

Or if you're only doing the very occasional large object. Rent a tow behind compressor for a couple days.

Or buy a gas powered smaller one and use it as needed. I have a nice

18HP one that I picked up at an auction. Works great when I need air away from the shop.
Reply to
Steve W.

100 kW three phase diesel generator.

Michael A. Terrell

Having a competent, experienced sandblasting business do large items is probably going to be a lot more practical.

First, only the rusted areas need sandblasting. Removing paint with blast media is costly and impractical, when paint stripper will do the job that's needed.

If there is original paint on major areas, it's better to use that as a primer coat, as many home shop refinishing jobs won't adhere as well to bare steel as a factory finish, which was probably baked on. Scuffing/sanding most original factory paints (not epoxy types) properly prepares it for refinishing.

I'm aware that media blasting provides an excellent surface for primer adhesion, but only under the proper conditions. A primer coat (or cold galvanizing coating) should be applied as soon after blasting as possible (the same day), and again, under favorable conditions of temperature and humidity.

Choosing a brand of refinishing products that offer users a complete Refinishing Guide is a wise choice (even if the guide has to be purchased). Guides contain needed personal protection, safety and preparation information. A good guide will provide instruction about which products are used for different applications, and should be like a short training course in proper use of the various products (mixing, temperatures, air pressures and much more).

Reply to
Wild_Bill

It is better for cooling, definitely. This head is very large, and weighs 800-900 lbs. It is like two 390 heads in a twin configuration.

They have much greater cooling area and suffer less from vibration.

340 pump is 5-10 HP (depending on RPM and top pressure) 325 pump is 3-5 HP

If it is a Quincy V-twin head in this size, it is likely to be a QT head.

I had a twin headed 5 HP CUrtis compressor.

Ignoramus15573

Knotted wire cup brush. I gotta get my trailer painted soon too.

Wes

Wes

Spent 2 hours with one yesterday. Fully cleaned a 100 gal diesel fuel tank. Welded stuff to its legs. Then cold-galvanized.

Ignoramus13363