Hydraulic hose question

Would going from a 3/16"ID hose to a 1/4" ID hose make any difference in how something works? The hydraulic hose that controls the Reeves drive on my Clausing lathe is 3/16" ID. I could get one from Clausing, but the local NAPA parts stores can make them up for half the price. Unfortunately NAPA only goes down to 1/4" ID. Will it make any difference other than that the system would take an extra ounce or two of oil to fill it?

RWL

Reply to
RWL

I wouldn't give it a second thought, use the 1/4".

Reply to
Buerste

The larger hose has less resistance to friction, in the case of moving fluid. You may get more effective HP out of your device.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On second thought, the actuator might respond more quickly?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks Tom.

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Neither thought is applicable here. This is a simple pump-free hydraulic circuit that connect a control lever to a variable pitch pulley.

Reply to
Pete C.

For this application -- I see no downside. (No problems with the fittings at the ends?)

I could see problems in something where the flow rate determined the speed of something, and the flow was being throttled by the smaller diameter hose -- but this is not that kind of application. :-)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Well. That remains to be seen. The man at the counter looked at the swivel end and said, is that a pipe fitting or a hydraulic fitting and mentioned something about maybe having to get the correct fitting in.

Going to pick up a tool and cutter grinder tomorrow so a trip to the NAPA store won't be on the agenda until next week.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Which Clausing lathe?

Im still trying to find a vari-drive belt for my Clausing 1500 thats under the $118 + shipping Clausing wants

Mine blew in half..with an unknown number of bits missing..so cant be sure of the length

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Check over in the Yahoo Clausing group. Somebody there is likely to know or can tell you how to measure the pulleys. The 5900 and 6300 series seem to take a common belt available from a number of places, including snowmobile dealers. The debate is whether to use a 22º belt or a 30º. The angle probably doesn't matter as much as the correct length.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Ive been given 2 numbers..one several inches longer than the other.

If I buy both....it will cost as much as the Clausing cost.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Is there some way to prop open both pulleys to the half way point and then make a strip of something the same width of the belt that you could use to get a measurement?

Gag. I know what you mean. I think the one I bought was about $45 and Clausing wanted somewhere over $100 for the belt.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET