12V Compressors

Hi, I am new in airbrushing. I have read the post about compressors, but in country I live it is very difficult to get compressor for reasonable price. My question is can I use 12V air compressor that is used for car tires until I will get my self another one ? I noticed some of them have tanks.

Thanks

Reply to
Nos

To use a small tire compressor use it to inflate a tire to about 60-80psi (ensure the tire is good). The small 12V tire compressors will wear out very quickly unless they are good quality (when I burnt out my "good" unit I went through another 4 cheaper models very quickly).

You could look for compressors from 4X4's used to inflate the air suspension. I used one for about 18months without problem and it is still good. Just don't run it too long as it will get very hot.

The best solution is a small garage style compressor. It may be noisier than you want but it will last forever and is much cheaper than most airbrush compressors.

Reply to
The Raven

will get my self another one ? I noticed some of them have tanks>>

You can, but I don't think I would unless that is your only choice. Small compressors like that usually create pulses in the air flow--you need the air to be a smooth steady flow or you'll get an uneven paint job. Where are you? Surely there is an industrial supply for welding equipment or a business that handles soda (Pepsi, Coke, etc) dispensers. Try to find a CO2 or Nitrogen tank with appropriate fittings and gauges. Damn it's good to live in the US.

Hey Osama, check your six

Reply to
Grinch

My suggestion on this is to get a tubeless car tyre then drill another valve hole and insert a second valve for the compressor connection hose, (let the air out first or else things might get a bit exciting when to break through). You can then use one of these fairly cheap compressors easily without getting the air pulsing.

You should use one with a pressure cut out and you will have to manually switch the compressor back on when the pressure gets too low. But, it is a good cheap effective way of getting a compressor and tank.

It worked for me.

Regards

Reply to
JP