Welding metals

I think I know the answer to this question but I want to make sure since i'm not an expert on metal.

When welding metal together, it has to be the same or similar metal, correct? Therefore, for example, I assume aluminum and steel can't be welded together. How can I learn about what type of metals can and cannot be welded together?

Thank you

Reply to
meanie

When I went to welding school, I got the best book I have ever seen about welding. I wish I could find it again.

In it was a section about welding "dissimilar metals." It can be done, but it has limits, and then, the finished product has/may have properties that are weaker than the parent metals.

I just googled dissimilar metals, and the second hit was ARC WELDABILITY OF DISSIMILAR METALS. Should give you lots of reading time.

That seems to be the proper term.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I took a TIG welding class, where the instructor showed us a little box made of 3x3" plates all welded together. The 6 sides were all different metals. I remember there being brass, copper and stainless steel sides. You might be right about not being able to weld aluminum to steel, but I think there are probably more possiblities than you think, at least with TIG. the sci.engr.joining.welding newsgroup is very good info source.

Reply to
lens