Welding tanks Explode

See the video.
According to police, the van was filled with gas tanks and welding equipment. The man reportedly lit a cigarette, igniting gas fumes in the vehicle and
setting off the explosion.
http://www.local10.com/news/16780374/detail.html
Best Regards Tom.

Clever guy. I saw the video on the news here.
Maybe he should quit smoking. It seems to have addled his brain.
-- Ed Huntress

Here's the vid http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/07/03/andrade.fl.van.explodes.wplg Karl

It seems like the welding tanks DID NOT explode. The VAN exploded because it was full of combustible gases.
Ivan Vegvary
On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 03:01:40 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ivan

It was probably a set of tanks which hadn't been shut off and the hoses purged. That little bit of acetylene blew the shell clear off the van. Unreal! Leave it to a Floridian NOT to notice that the vehicle stunk of flammable gas before lighting up. There's an Obama voter for ya. (Hi, Ed.)
-- Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine
Larry Jaques wrote:

*It also points out the power of a cigarette addiction*
I once knew a long term smoker to be on oxygen for his breathing problems. He was sitting in a smoke-free clinic to see the doctor about his problem. He told me, "I'm going outside and have a cigarette - if it kills me." Well, it didn't kill him right then but he's dead now.
Don't worry about going to see Marlboro Country, just keep smoking your cigarettes and you'll get to "Marlboro County" sooner than you'd like - SIX FEET UNDER.
My father died at the ripe old age of about 61. I *think* about 60 camels a day "helped" him die. Yep, he was a chain smoker - light the next one with the current one.
Al Patrick wrote:

Some people prefer to make rational decisions for themselves. To many smokers that bit of daily relaxation for decades has a lot more value than a few extra years in a nursing home waiting to die.
Pete C. wrote:

My dad died from smoking. He *slowly* suffocated from emphysema over a 10 year period. "Waiting to die" sounds much more peaceful than it really is. "I just want it to be over" was a constant theme for him in the last stage.
Smoking also increases the risk of heart failure. The REALLY lucky smoker will just keel over. If it happens at 61, maybe that's no so lucky.
Bob

My mom didn't quit smoking until she was too weak from emphysema to get out of bed, and nobody would bring her a cigaret.
I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

    Yeesh, their breath probably scared off the Angel of Death. Or he thought they were already dead. :-)
tschus
The 2000 Year Old Man attributed his longevity to eating a pound of garlic right before bed. In the night, the Angle of Death would wake him, and he'd say "Whoooo hiiis hiiit?" and the fumes would drive him away. -- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

A few years back in Las Vegas, a resident of a trailer park was sitting outside having a smoke and using his oxygen tank at the same time. He had emphysema. EMTs and FD rolled. Camera crew arrived and was filming. A kid about eight years old came into the scene holding the remnants of an aluminum O2 bottle and asked if this was something important.
A great lady I knew finally died from emphysema. She had security clearance, and used to be one of the gals that shuffled blueprints across the huge Boeing construction hangers powered by roller-skates. She had an interesting life, but it was hard to watch her die.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

I was doing that not long ago. Three packs a day. Finally decided I'd rather quit than die and just quit. THEN the price of cigarettes went sky high! In the end, there isn't a day goes by that I don't think I want one.
But I'm glad I don't _have_ to smoke any more.
REAL glad.
Richard
On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 03:53:50 -0500, cavelamb himself

It has faded somewhat after fifteen years.

Gerry :-)} London, Canada
This "story" is lacking some details, me thinks.
(EMTs and) FD rolled. To put out the cigarette?
Camera crew arrived and was filming. Someone smoking is newsworthy, or they were making a documentary? They probably weren't filming, maybe taping or transmitting to the studio.
Someone shot the oxygen bottle? From a grassy knoll?
A kid about eight years old came into the scene.. He wasn't in school? Oh, it happened in a trailer park, that explains everything.
I still have to wonder how much money the kid got for the scrap of aluminum. Maybe enough for a 6-pack so he could get his cousin Irma drunk and knock her up.
We never will hear the full story because what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.
Irma later becomes a stripper, I bet.
WB ......... metalworking projects www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

Sorry, I left out the line, "there was an explosion" right after the sentence, "He had emphysema." I've had a rough last couple of days. I made a mistake. I apologize and it will definitely happen again.
I'm sorry. Truly sorry. You have no idea how badly this makes me feel, and how elated I am for you to point out my weaknesses and errors. You do not know the level at which this affects me, especially coming from you, All Knowing, Never Erring Great One.
I'll try to do better, and I suggest you get a life.
This communication is ended.
Steve
The sick man exploded, and burst the oxygen bottle?
OK, then.. this is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing.
Learn something knew every day, they say.
I can empathize with a couple of rough days, as I was having them for a couple of decades.
It's more likely that the sick fella mistakenly had his acetylene bottle with him.
WB ......... metalworking projects www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

Wild_Bill wrote:

Great. Fuck with the guy on narcotics.
--
John L. Weatherly

please remove XXXs to reply via email
I dunno why you chimed in John (without mentioning the obvious), but tell me.. what's the bad part of being on narcotics (for a short period of time)?
WB ......... metalworking projects www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

Wild_Bill wrote:

I forget.
--
John L. Weatherly

please remove XXXs to reply via email
I reckon the bad part to be; not having just a couple more.
But that's the way those things are. At least they don't cause people to explode.
WB ......... metalworking projects www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html