What's It Gonna Be

I haven't posted one of these in a while. I guess its time. Periodic updates will be posted as I remove more of the material that is not the final part. Everything you need to know is within the boundaries of the pictures.

Yes, I finally go the MaxNC retrofit and started using it to cut some parts. Its got acme screws now with DumpsterCNC antibacklash nuts. You can see I made a mount similar the one on the Taig for a router as a spindle. I improved the design slightly allowing me to tram it easier and also remove and replace the router very quickly with the flip latch off the table that comes with the router.

I still need to build a cabinet for it, and setup a flood lubricant pump and tank, but for now it works if I just cut less aggressively.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The next hint:

Bob La Londe

Oh, yeah. A logical hint. The part will serve two purposes. One primary and one secondary.

Remember: Everything you need to know is within the boundaries of the pictures.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Ok, Last hint before I post it in service.

Bob La Londe

Finally -- enough to make a guess from.

Looks like a mounting bracket for the next version of router -- with a set of grooves on the back plate to allow vertical adjustment.

Understand that -- at least on my system -- from the first URL, all I saw was a looping video showing only a block of aluminum in the vise, with the milling cutter almost touching it. Hardly a useful image. (It kept zooming and panning, and there were two major views, but nothing which showed me more than a block in a vise, ready to be cut. And because it was a video, I could not save it and zoom in for more details. All the motion was distracting, too.

The second URL was at least a still image, and showed what appeared to be a single groove milled the long dimension of the block. Again, hardly enough to judge by.

But *this* has enough shape to allow guesses.

And -- I don't like the "ImageShack" site. I had to fight it to get it to show me the so-called "slideshow", which turned out to be a video.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Fair enough. And no.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It moves the motor back from the table giving a little more room for the motor/shaft coupler and allowing for more travel. It also provides a semi permanent quick square for throwing a vise or other item on the table for a quick job, Now I need to put a longer screw on this axis. Fortunately I still have 3 feet of the original screw left.... if I can find it.

I bored the cross slide for the coupler originally, but I had to stop short of the ways. With this spacer I can use the full length of the bed. I saw right away that I should have flipped the part and notched it out past the ways in the front and back in case I needed to over run a little bit sometime. Fortunately I can do it easily enough. Loosen two screws and swap out two long ones for two short ones and its back the way it was while I cut that part, and I have not yet removed my previous quick square.

P.S. The big vises are nice, but I really need some smaller ones for this machine.

Reply to
Bob La Londe