What screws to use for aluminum

I will need to fasten stuff to aluminum using 10-32 screws. That will work in a dry environment (no dripping water) with sometimes high and soemtimes low humidity (garage).

Can I use regular shiny galvanized screws for this or would I have galvanic corrosion issues and deal with stuck screws, later?

Ignoramus14135

You really should use a coarse thread in a soft metal. I would suggest a 10-24 instead.

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

yes, you will have problems no matter what the screws are made of, unless they're the same grade as the aluminium. boat masts see this all the time. there is a goop that you can put in around the screws to prevent this problem. note: most boat builders use ss screws for this.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Well, boat masts live in presence of saltwater, whereas that aluminum item will spend its life inside a steel cabinet in a garage.

Ignoramus14135

Try anti-seize. Any auto prats store should have it. It will help to keep dissimilar metals from bonding.

Reply to
JWho

Yep, good point, will do just that.

Ignoramus14135

Somebody makes aluminum nuts/bolts out there. I have the name/number

*somewhere*, and believe they sent me some samples. Also forgot how I found them, but google oughtta do it.

Also, mebbe nyl>>

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Well, if I guess right, you're going to be using these fasteners for bolting conductors together? Providing you keep it air/moisture tight, which most clean boltups are, then you shouldn't have an issue. Corrosion might be an issue under the bolt head, where the joint will be exposed. However, for your very mind environment, I wouldn't even worry about it. Spend your time thinking about more important things.

Reply to
carl mciver

Nope. These fasteners will be used for attaching case hardware to an aluminum heatsink.

Thanks!

Ignoramus14135

If you want to really do ti up, get some cad plated screws. The cadmium acts as the anode and protects the aluminum. Stainless screws will be worse than low carbon steel in terms of rotting the aluminum. As posted elswhere, some simple anti-sieze should be sufficient for your application.

Reply to
Kelly Jones

Are pop rivets out of the question?

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

100%. i
Reply to
Ignoramus14135

It may be overkill, but I usually start out with helicoil thread inserts in aluminum, especially if it's something I'll need to disassemble or periodically tighten.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

That's a very good idea! Or, epoxy/weld a nut to the other side, if poss.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®