Painting Metal Doors

One would usually use an oil base paint for a metal apartment door, wouldn't one?

Then why are the painters drying my door with a *hair dryer*?

I mean if it was latex, and it dried by actual evaporation, I guess that would make sense. But oil base dries by oxidation of oils, not by evaporation unless you use a thinner or extender. Right? So raising the temperature of the paint increases the O2 rate by something like Twith/Twithout. At least it seems it should, whereas raising the temperature of a latex would change the vapor pressure of the water in the paint, a nonlinear, concave upward curve.

It takes something like eight hours for oil base to dry. What possible good could five minutes with a hair dryer do?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Yours,

Doug Goncz Replikon Research Falls Church, VA 22044-0394

Reply to
DGoncz

Ive been a sign painter and painter of other objects since I was 13 So one day a cal osha guy enters the shop and starts looking for violations an he finds acouple loose lids on paint cans. So he's worried about voc's and spillage and I don't take kindly to folk tryin to mess around in my biz. So I tell him politely to leave the shop and explain that, as soon as I open those cans and apply it to a surface the exact same amount of stuff is gonna evaporate. he never came back

Reply to
daniel peterman

Forcing a skin on the paint to reduce runs? I have to assume that VA is a little cold right now and any paint will take quite a while to dry, leading to sags after they've walked away.

Koz

Reply to
Koz

"daniel peterman" wrote: (clip) So he's worried about voc's and spillage (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You are right about evaporation, but HE is right about spillage. Kuz, if you spill paint, you have to go buy more, which the doubles up on the solvent evaporation. ;-) BTW, do they allow you to wash your brushes, or are you required to encapsulate them?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Kind of right. Oil paint has a volatile "vehicle", I think they call it, which does evaporate. But it also has a component which reacts with oxygen (polymerizes, I think), to "set" (become hard). Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Some sort of epoxy paint that has to be a certain minimum temp. to cure, maybe?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

And oil based paints won't cure on wet surfaces or damp surfaces. Use a heat lamp or the UV work lamps... to dry out the work and then start...

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Jerry Foster wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

You are 100% correct about the VOC evaporation - but it's very dangerous to point out the logic in something to a government official, especially one who can make your life VERY miserable.

You have to sneak up on a point of pure logic like that very slowly and methodically, and make sure he agrees with each sub-point before you drop the main Logic Bomb - first you get him to agree on the total amount of VOC's, and then that it evaporates when applied as directed, and that it will evaporate very slowly if the lid isn't perfectly sealed...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

According to Martin H. Eastburn :

Umm ... don't you mean "*IR* work lamps"?

I could see UV used to hasten the setting of some epoxys, but I don't think that it will do much on oil based paints.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Good to be back!

Thanks for all the replies.

As it turns out, esto es pintura de latex, no es de oilo. Y tambien, tengo poquito para reparacion.

That, is, our Hispanic contractor is using latex, not an oil base, and also filled my small bottle with paint in case of a ding. So the hair dryer is apropos. and I have a little something to keep to remember this by.

And no, they didn't approach a run, but there was a thick patch that took more time with the hair dryer. Nice job, all around..

NowI can laugh at the whole thing, but mostly at myself, in a good way.

The Dougster

Reply to
DGoncz

IR are heat red looking lamps. I was referring to the 'sun gun' - quartz tube that produces dangerous amounts of UV and normally has some protective shielding. They will burn (sun burn) you.

D> According to Martin H. Eastburn :

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Back you are!

We paint Latex based paint when it rains - inside only naturally works just fine. The water on the wall or in it - comes out through the paint as the paint dries.

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

A sun gun sounds like it would dry oil based paint very nicely, with the various chemical reactions in the paint taking their energy of activation from both the heat and the energetic radiation. I know there's a solvent component that evaporates to prevent runs, and the oil component. But does the oil polymerize, which is a reaction that might use UV, or oxidize, which is something that heat would help, or both? I don't know if oxidation would be assisted by UV. The reason I say that is I have this sense that polymerization is energetically uphill, while oxidation is downhill. I'm not sure if that is right.

Metalworking content: we are still talking about metal doors, right? :)

Doug

Reply to
DGoncz

According to Martin H. Eastburn :

O.K. I'm not familar with those -- unless you mean the quartz halogen ones. I've never used them without the shielding.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Metal - yep - many of the components of paint are metal something or another.

I think the lights would also work - maybe be careful in burning - to close like the user gets sunburned if under them to long or to close.

For a higher effect - take out the special glass protection screens - but don't tell anyone I said so. I think you can sunburn your eyes without protection and some distance. Metal content: Metal halide. Metal door. Metal workers.

martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

That is them - the work lights. I have some 480 12" ones in the shop (in a drawer!). Sun gun was a Kodak movie camera hand held 'flood light'.