What size steel beam to hang hammock?

True, but they don't deflect!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Hey Harold,

Didn't James (Rainlover) say he made a sculpture that bent or waved in the sun, sort of like heliotroping? Maybe even a beam this size would bend "slightly" from asymmetric heating.

Hmmmmm.. wonder if you had a long enough pendulum, and that principle, you'd have perpetual motion?

Take care.

Brian Lawson.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Chuckle!

I'd like to take the time to answer, Brian, but I'm busy working on my perpetual motion machine.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Thanks! Do you think I can dig that one using a standard two-man gas auger? :-)

Reply to
bob smith

Heck no -- I'm an engineer and I think English units are perfect for this kind of calc! SI is a real pain when the inputs and outputs are English anyway (weight, dimensions, especially of the pipe/tube/beam and the tables of I and S in the books). With all the infrastructure in the US built around English units, it'll be a looong time before we can get SI-dim'd raw materials, hardware, etc. as easily as English ones. Long live the King!

SI is great for dynamics, though--them darn slugs and lb-masses...

David

Reply to
David Malicky