Where can you buy metal?

Keep an open mind--go to scrap yards, or other places where you may find big flat pieces. When you see a piece that might work, and is small enough to handle, design your table around it. This applies to the legs as well. If you are going to be welding, you can make legs out of what you find.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I agree with the others, a scrap yard is the place to get your steel. I went to my local yard and asked for a hunk of steel sheet and tube and/or angle suitable for making a small welding table. I was in luck - someone had recently scrapped two complete welding tables! I took the one with a 2ft x 3t x 1/2in top ($20), which was just the size I wanted to build. The other table was enormous, bigger than 4ft x 8ft, way too big for my work space.

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

Hmm... I'll check out the "local" (kinda far, but closest) salvage yards & see what is available. Thx.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

skrev i en meddelelse news:KpPyd.2627$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...

These guys are serious:

For other types of metal you may want to check the scrapyards and steel suppliers in the area... If you choose the steel suppliers you may have to prepare to buy whole sheets..

Using 1" seems a little extreme.. I built a welding table some years ago from Oak and just screwed a sheet of 6 mm aluminum on top and have had no problems with this setup...

/peter