House gloat

My wife has a lucrative job advancement that requires us to move to another county, so she has been searching for us a house there that will suit the
need, but also with enough land to allow me to build a new, larger workshop. She searched the Internet and found a house in the right area 5 miles from town that was being offered by government as a past foreclosure and surplus property, and was up for bids. It's 2464 sq ft, 4 bedroom, 4 bathrooms, two septic tanks, sunken living room, bay window, two sunken dens, one with fireplace, carport, concrete surfaced parking for 4 cars, corner lot in the country. Side road is dead end. Lot is 150 wide by 300 feet deep along the side road. Country store with $1.73 gas is one mile away. Obligatory metal content is that the house has nails in it, and will be a "front" for my workshop operation. The house is insurance appraised at $167,000, and we closed on it with a bid of $81,200. New carpet, floorcoverings, and a little paint, and it'll be ready to move into. I've made lots of good machinery deals before, but I sure didn't expect to get such a deal as this on a house! The semi trailer I just purchased is loaded with my entire workshop, parked in the back yard of my present home, ready to go. A marriage-challenged friend just bought my old workshop property two weeks ago with cash, and I rolled it right over into the new house. Things is lookin' up! New shop on the horizon!
Pic at
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/OccupantR/house.jpg
RJ
Backlash wrote:

And you DID check to see if it had a history as a grow op house.... ie. potential severe mold problems, among other things.
Hope it works out better than that, but better to have checked than be burned.
Good Luck!
Cheers Trevor Jones

another
the
workshop.
from
surplus
two
the
the
metal
little
weeks
He can buy a lot of bleach and sheetrock with the money he saved, even if it does have mold........
ATP wrote:

Not enough.
This problem has become quite widespread, to the point where it's becoming one of the things that must be acknowleged, in a fashion similar to what was done (and still is AFAIK) with Urea Formaldehyde insulation through the realtors fact sheet.
As a rough estimate, the police in the city of Vancouver British Columbia, figured that as many as one house in 50 or so in their area had some level of grow operation in it. (based on thermal imaging, excluded as a legal search method by judicial decision) When you exclude the small timers, that still leaves a lot of houses suffering long term exposure to extreme levels of humidity and general decreptitude inducing treatment. Many of these houses are in "nice" neighborhoods, occupied by "nice, quiet" neighbors.
Black mold health issues are not quite as simple as bleach and sheetrock.
And that excludes the possibilities that there may have been any other form of drug lab there, with the assosciated chemical wastes.
Perhaps all just supposition, but "I" would be considering such things when looking at such a bargain.
It may well be just that, a bargain, which is my hope and best wishes.
Cheers Trevor Jones
The house was part of a large farm operation foreclosed on by the Govmn't. Everyone in the area told us that the family's eyes were larger than their wallets. They apparently spent money out of both drawer legs until they went bust, to my benefit. Their kids always drove new cars, went to private schools, etc. I'm all too familiar with any mold issues, due to being wiped out by flooding in '99 by hurricane. The gov agent let me examine the house as many times as I wanted, and I spent quite a few hours, along with others, for unbiased opinions, over several weeks doing just that. The people who had the house must have been in denial. Tobacco farming is not what it used to be in the South. They were refinishing the kitchen cabinets when the foreclosure hit them. Duh! I have all the cabinet doors, and will just finish the job before we move in.
RJ

if it

Backlash wrote:

Coooolll!!!
Merry Christmas !
Cheers Trevor Jones

if it

I think it's blown out of proportion, with the exception of a few virulent strains. In most cases mold levels outdoors are much greater, is it hazardous to your health to walk in the woods?
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:59:36 -0500, "ATP"

What happens is an allergic reaction to the particular mold in the house. Breathing it day after day finally triggers the immune system to attempt a repair which it can't make, causing a breakdown.
There are more mold and trees up here in Oregon but my allergy level has dropped 90% and my energy level is double what it was in LoCal 3 years ago. I noticed the change within a week of moving here.
--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

exclude
inducing
by
virulent
You can get sensitized to irritants and then not be able to tolerate them at all. But at what level/length of exposure is an open question. Some recent studies have suggested that good climate control systems are very effective in reducing ill effects from mold, even in buildings that had water intrusion problems.

another
sounds great! ours has white and brown fur and eats garbage. We named her Sta_ OOPS! sorry, i misread the title, i thought it said House Goat.
walt (i wondered why i didn't see any livestock in the photo!)