which lathe?

Hi,
I'm looking to purchase my first metal lathe. Have narrowed the list to 2
different models (based on availability here in Australia - the sieg m2
(aka Grizzly G0516 lathe section only) and the generic 9x 20 qc gearbox
lathe sold by multiple vendors. Anycomments on these - particularly the Sieg
as it seems just a bit better in quality - is it or is it just that it looks
better?
Comments welcome
cheers
Gary
Reply to
Gary
Buy a good used Herco.
Gunner
That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell
Reply to
Gunner
Did you mean "Hercus", Gunner? (They are lathe manufacturers based in South Australia.)
-- Jeff
Reply to
A.Gent
Indeed. Mea Culpa. The meds...
Gunner
That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell
Reply to
Gunner
Damn for a minute I thought you were talking about my nemisis - a Hurco.
Jim
jim rozen
Doncha like Hucos? They are a nice, well made heavy..heavy..chunk of iron. Controls tend to suck...ymmv
Gunner
That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell
Reply to
Gunner
I have a more-than-passing aquaintence with a hurco VMC30 which is at my former night job. They were using it to machine wear pads that had been rough-cut on a table saw, so it was mimimal profile, and drill.
Some nights I would load hundreds of those things through the machine in four hours. Possibly the single most boring thing I have ever done in my entire life. Ah well, I still have the pay socked away.
The controls weren't half bad, conversational or G code.
For the simple jobs they ran, conversational worked just fine.
I did wind up poking around inside the control console on occasion because the displays would goof up.
Jim
jim rozen