Licensed electrician ?

When someone says "licensed electrician", as in "you have to be a licensed electrician to get this permit to add the 240V outlets to your shop", what exactly do they mean?

I know in most states (for example, Wisconsin, Indiana and Michigan), a state agency issues a license after successfully passing an exam. This makes perfect sense.

But in Illinois, the state does NOT issue electrician's licenses. It issues licenses to doctors, lawyers, realtors, hair dressers, etc., but not electricians.

Yet many local Chicagoland building inspectors insist on license electricians. What license are they referring to?

Reply to
AL

Driver's License? Fishing License? Gun License?

Reply to
Brian

In Pennsylvania and California, A 'Licensed Electrician' was one who owned an electrical business and passed a test to obtain the license. Others could work for them however the responsibility that the work was completed satisfactorily falls upon the owner of the business. No permits can be obtained without the license. (Except by the home owner). In Pa. this only held true only for the larger cities with payrolled inspectors. Outlying areas did not require licensing and used NBFU inspectors or a private recognized inspection company, They also issue the permits. Wash. Ore. Idaho and Utah require that all work be done by or under direct supervision of a working licensed individual. (The same license is valid in all those states.)

Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work

Reply to
Chipper Wood

I used to live in Utah, and now reside in Washington State. One could do his own wiring as long as it was not commercial, so a license was not required. That may be different in Utah now, but I still have an open permit for our home here in Washington, and no license is necessary. You do have to work to code, however. In Washington, the State oversees electrical, whereas in Utah it was left to the counties. Could be different there now, I've been gone for over 8 years.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

An _electricians_license_, oddly enough.

Issued by the municipality, not the state.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

State laws may provide an exemption for you to work on your own home as long as you follow code and permitting procedures. In a commercial or public structure, you may be outta luck.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Rules change from county-to-county and city-to-city but what you just described is an electrical contractor, which is different from an electrician. In my county, they license electricians (like me), master electricians, and electrical contractors. Each have a separate exam (among other requirements) and differing privileges.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

In Illinois each city has its own licencing exam but except for Chicago, most recognize eaach others. Here is a link to an application for a Chicago electrician's license:

AL wrote:

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 04:31:11 GMT, "AL" calmly ranted:

I believe some cities, like Chicago and NYC, have their own licensing requirements for contractors: plumbers and electricians, etc.

I suggest you call the city and ask...from a pay phone, JIC.

  • Blessed are those who can * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • laugh at themselves, for they * Comprehensive Website Dev.
  • shall never cease to be amused *
Larry Jaques

Depends on the locality. My dad had licenses from several surrounding towns where he did work but the state didn't have any licensing authority. In many cities, if you had a license from another town, they'd recognize it and issue a local license on the strength of that upon surrendering the proper amount of green. Having a union card helped there, too, since you had to have gone through the apprenticeship program to get one and were, theoretically, properly trained. If the local building code was considerably different than other towns, you might have to study up and pass the test. He had to do that several times when working out of state.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

Idaho too, allows a homeowner to do his own electrical. Did my own shop with 240's and 120's, saved a bunch of money. The city or county electrical inspector is the one to talk to in your area.

Reply to
Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho

Union card.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

That is scary. My twelve year old son would qualify for that one!

Mark Rand Bsc. Electrical Engineering & Electronics (a 'competent person' under the UK wiring regs)

RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That's not the application for the license. That is the application to take the test, which you must pass to be qualified to apply for a license.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Read it again. "The applicant must be 21 years of age". Two years verified work experience is required. Also, that's an application to take an exam which has to be passed.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Happens a lot. they simply don't know what they are talking about.

Reply to
CW

What I see is :

  1. documentation on the person kept in the file - just in case...
  2. Tax / a.k.a. fee paid.
  3. if licensed this way - at least the customer in trouble can call the city and get some help - or the DA or ....

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

65 ILCS 5 11-37-1 through -4 says *you* don't know what you're talking about.

In Illinois electrician are licensed by the municipality.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

In the province of British Columbia Canada as well as most or all of the other provinces I believe that in order to obtain a licence as a Electrician you must first complete a 4 or 5 year apprenticeship, write and pass a IP (inter-provincial red seal) test and then pay money to the licencing board to obtain your Electricians License. Thas is pretty standard for most trades in Canada ie: Welding, steel fabrication, machineing/tool&die, millwright-industrial mechanic, auto mechanic/heavy duty-diesel tech,aircraft maintenance engineer, carpentry ect. ect.

Reply to
onsitewelding

Mea Culpa!!!!

Mark Rand RTFM