Licensed?

I was visiting a state that didn't require licensing for locksmiths and decided to flip through the phone book.

Do you know how many ads I saw that said "Licensed"? Almost all of them.

Is this really legit to claim you are licensed just because the competition does it, or the customer expects locksmiths to be licensed?

What? They have a driver's license, so they're "licensed" now?

I can accept "Bonded" if you have a bond, "Insured" if you have insurance, and even "Certified" if you went through the Foley Belsaw course.

But how can one make a claim based on your driver's license?

Sunshine Locksmith Team

SunshineTeam.net

A business or merchant or general tradesman license? Some kind of consumer affairs license? There are a lot of different kinds of licenses. What was the state?

Reply to
Mike Easter

No. But in some areas locksmith licensing is optionally available, and in some it's required by law. Depends on state and local ordinances. It might be educational for you to spend some time researching this.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

It was Florida.

As far as I know, you don't need a license for there:

Sunshine Locksmith Team

SunshineTeam.net

It was Florida.

I didn't know ANY state had an optionally available license. Interesting. Do you have a list of them? Or of any?

Sunshine Locksmith Team

SunshineTeam.net

When I search around the various licenses for FL, such as Florida License board for standard trades, Dept. of Professional Regulation - Construction Industry Licensing Board - and similar, I can't figure out anything locksmith.

Maybe some FL locksmith will step up here and tell us what kind of license, permits, or fees s/he has.

Reply to
Mike Easter

While locksmithing is not regulated in many states, wiring and electrical work is... Did these ads that used the term "licensed" offer services on electronic/electrical locks or access control systems ???

Massachusetts requires anyone who works on anything electric [including low voltage and telecommunications] to be licensed if they are providing those services to a third party...

So while there is no "license" for locksmithing here in Massachusetts, a locksmith may still be licensed by the state...

Evan, ~~ formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

Reply to
wayne c

^Same here in Indiana.Of course I am up north and not down in Indianapolis, which may require more than a business license.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

In California it takes an application to the state and a check. The state does a background check and issues a license if you are not an escaped criminal or something.

The license is quite official looking and looks impressive in a frame on my wall. Doesn't represent that I actually know anything though.

Ralph

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

do you really think they are referring to a "driver's license" ? :-)

Reply to
Key

"Pumper Hinkle" snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote in message news:0GaMf.5146$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

its now the same here in Louisiana..

Reply to
Key

If there is no specific locksmithing license in your state, they are probably referring to a business license, since that's all you'd need to trade.

- Brandon

Reply to
Brandon Oto