Electrician with Pacemaker

I have a freind who is an electrician. He has just got a new Pacemaker and is worried about what jobs that he can do with the pacemaker.

What are the limitations? Is he stuck doing residential work?

Please help, this is a new situation for us to deal with. Thanks in advance Just Me

Reply to
JustMe

The only job he can do with the pace maker is to keep his heartbeat regular.

He'll need other tools to do other jobs. (He shouldn't use the pace maker for anything else in case he breaks it.)

HR.

Reply to
Rowbotth

Suggest turning off the linear accelerator before recabling focus magnets.

--s falke

Reply to
s falke

Reply to
Paul Ferguson

From what I have read, he can probably do anything, as long as he does not work with high frequency communications equipment, work where there are very strong magnetic fields, and work in very high voltage fields. I also read that it is advisable to not put a cell phone too close to it, and not to go very close to a microwave oven.

If he enquires to the manufacture of the pacemaker, they can advise him officially. This would be the best action I would take.

Reply to
Jerry G.

What does the doctor say? You must be a wonderful friend in that you have to deal with his situation.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E. Worthington Engineering, Inc.

145 Greenglade Avenue Worthington, OH 43085-2264

snipped-for-privacy@worthingtonNSengineering.com (remove NS to use the address)

614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax

Don Phillips

How about asking his doctor? Did you ever think about that?!?

Reply to
Brian

I have had an ELA brand pacemaker for about 2 years now, and I routinely use my amateur radio 144 (50W) and 440 (35W) MHz transceiver in the car, with the antenna on the trunk lid. A friend measured the field strength at my driver's seat and found that it was about 5% of the recommended maximum field strength for human exposure (the only calibration on his instrument).

I routinely do household wiring projects, and I work as an electrical engineer. I have never had cause to worry about the operation of the device. Kudo's to ELA. :-)

I do listen to the warning that magnets should be avoided, and I don't go through the metal detector at the airports. The pacer technician has demonstrated to me that the device is turned off by magnetic fields, which he uses when it is necessary to monitor my natural heartbeat.

As far as asking the doctor, you will be surprised at how little technical information the doctor knows. As far as the device is concerned, the doctor is little more than a sales agent. This is not surprising since his field is medicine, not electronics. You might as well discuss field strength and electromagnetic susceptibility with a grocery store clerk.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Kilzer