4X4 Block Heater Long Cable

Hey guys. I dont know if I am in the right group. Anyways, here is my question.

The electric plug in the wall of my house building is about 125 feet away from my truck. Me and my friend both have a 4X4 and the winter up here are VERY cold. I wonder what type of cable should I get to run around the house for 125 feet, and then keep both of our truck warm.

Any suggestion/specification/places to buy? I'm from Canada.

Thank you.

Reply to
Louis Garceau

Depends on the size of the heaters that your using.

this will help you figure out what you need once you know the size of the heater(s).

Reply to
SQLit

I believe most car hearters are around 500W + /-. For a distance under 200 feet there is no significant degradation to the voltage.

In other words a standard extention cord with No. 12 wires should do.

What I would do is buy a cable of No 10 three wires (outdoor type) with a male & female plugs to installl at each end and install it, because ready made extention cord will cost more than double your home made version.

PS: Make sure the oultet on your house is grounded.

A+

Reply to
A+

How much current does the block heater draw?

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

If you can find it, obtain 10-AWG/3-conductor SJEW, SJEOW, or SJEO0W 300-volt portable cord elastomeric jacket/insulation rated to

-40°C. [Typical putup is 250ft spool]

Decent grade industrial cord cap/connector body should accommodate cord diamater.

Hubbell 5266C/5269C list 0.72" dia

--s falke

Reply to
s falke

Thanks a lot guys, that is good info, I will check that in town.

Louis

Reply to
Louis Garceau