Storm recovery

We had a storm. Not Katrina or Rita scale, but it did tear things up some in Minneapolis.

95 hours down, but we're up and running again. YAY! I'm impressed with how Xcel handled the aftermath of this storm. On Wed nite they had over 200,000 customers without power. They must triage things so the early work goes to fixing problems that affect the greatest number, which includes safety matters like traffic signals on arterials and perhaps businesses to minimize temptation to loot. Smaller neighborhood pockets like us had to wait our turn. Someone has to. We must have been near the end of the list, because as of 10PM tonight they were down to 12,000 still without power. Our turn came this afternoon. The crews were all over this neighborhood like locusts. A tree crew from Des Moines, IA took care of the tree that took out the 8000-volt line serving our end of Hickory Dr. They (two guys with a cherrypicker truck) had that tree cleared in 20 minutes. They didn't remove the tree, just cut it well clear of the powerlines so they could fix the lines. Further tree work will be (electrically) safe for neighbor Dan or whomever he might hire. Dan is a metro guy, doesn't want any help. I tried.

An Xcel crew (another two guys with another cherrypicker) was right behind them, had the line spliced and made taut with a new insulator in another 20 minutes. Similar things were happening in several locations around the neighborhood. The lights went on 20 minutes after they were done here, just before dark.

These crews had undoubtedly been working dawn-to-dark since Thu AM. They've probably been knocking down some serious overtime pay, but I'll bet they'll be glad to be done. A huge amount of work got done in 95 hours. Someone did a superb job of organization and perhaps preparedness. The crews I saw working were pros, no wasted motion and no hardhats loafing and watching. They get there, "get her done right" and go on to the next job.

This being Minnesota, there were lots of examples of neighbors helping neighbors. The sound of chainsaws (including mine) has been about constant for the past few days. I sustained no damage other than a lot of debris in my yard (cleaned up on Thursday) so I spent a coupla days bucking and swamping for a neighbor with a problem, big tree fallen on her garage. Neighbor Ms Lillian's rellie Lester, no younger than I but a damned good tree man, kept the timber raining down for me and some others to buck and swamp. We "got her done". I'm not a strong young man, but I can work a little now and then. I enjoyed working with those guys. Ms Lillian, about 70, noted that Dan is a metro neighbor but "you guys are like small town neighbors." I took that as a huge compliment. Ms Lillian says exactly what she thinks when she says anything at all. She is one neat lady. She had power days before we did, invited us to run an extension cord from her garage for minimal needs e.g. freezer. Gratefully accepted. I also kiped my 'puter on the feed to keep meself from going nuts. I'd read three novels by flashlight, was getting owly because I couldn't make chips. I didn't like being without power for 95 hours any better than anyone else would, but I think Xcel and its crews did an impressive and thoroughly professional job of dealing with the aftermath of a storm.

I'll be buying a generator soon. Summertime outage is inconvenient, nothing more. We do primitive just fine. But an ice storm causing a similar outage midwinter could be serious. Frozen plumbing can be a very costly mess. There isn't a genny within 75 miles of Mnpls just now, but they'll restock eventually. I'm looking at a Honda

5.5KW per recommendation from Fitch.

Ig would no doubt find one for $9.99. I'm not that good at finding bargains. I want something I can count on, bargain or not. Onan is right here in Fridley and I recall from army days that Onan made seriously good gennys -- but I just need a small one. Honda has an excellent rep with small gennys.

Reply to
Don Foreman

This one strikes a nerve at home. When I was a newlywed (26 years ago), we bought an old farm house way out in the country. The SO was still carrying laundry to town when I came home with a portable generator that I had got a deal on. No talk about it ahead of time. My point that life out in the country without power in case of an ice storm didn't carry squat against the washer/dryer combo that she had spotted on sale. AND now we couldn't afford it. We've still never had that ice storm. AND its still a sore subject.

Don, I'm glad to see "Minnesota Nice" exists in the Metro area. With the folks we've seen move out to our little spec of Paradise from the Metro, I wondered if it was gone.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

We had a bad ice storm here in NH in the late 90's that took out electricity for a week. I managed to patch the dozen holes in the roof with a battery Makita panel saw recharged by a lunchbox-sized ham radio generator but it taught me to have spare plywood and a generator large enough to run power tools.

Snow mixed with salt cools down to about 5 F and can keep the contents of the freezer frozen. Other food keeps well outdoors in coolers, which protect it from freezing and small animals.

jw

Reply to
jim.wilkins

Ah, but flip that around, and have a storm like that.

"well, if we had a generator we could keep the boiler and well pump running, but we don't. So there's gonna be no water and no heat till it comes back up."

Wimmin folks get squirrely when there's no indoor plumbing. You would have been out shopping for the best generator you could want, in short order.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

We're glad you're ok, Don; sort of wondered where you went - I guess "fishing" wasn't the right guess. It is good to hear stories like your's of self sufficiency .

Reply to
Robert Swinney

You should've bought the internal-combustion powered Maytag :-). It'll wash your clothes AND run when the power is out!

I think they made them up through the 60's, they still show up at farm auctions etc.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

I start the major plumbing jobs after SWMBO hits the sack- swing over to the 24hr Home Despot at 3am for more bit & pieces and chat with the other SOBs in the same boat. Theres always a few...

I'm not going to be the one to tell her she can't wash her hair because the water main isn't hooked up yet.

Gregm

Reply to
Greg Menke

Check with an RV dealer as to where crashed, burned and busted Motorhomes go when they die. Most have decent Onan or equiv gensets, along with big battery banks in the belly of the beasts. Sometimes you can get a hell of a deal. And consider snagging a reefer out of one too..they will run on propane, 110 or 12vt (usually) which makes it easy to snag food out of your regular fridge and keep it cold using alternative methods.

Geeze Don..you and others here are starting to sound like Survivalists..

Whoda thunkit?

Gunner, with a 25 yr headstart.

Gunner Asch

It is admittedly unlikely, but I'll consider it as cheap insurance. Convenience during summer storms and outages will be a bonus.

It exists in pockets. I'm lucky to live in a neighborhood of nice folks in a northern 'burb. I'm pretty sure I would not like living in the flossy western and southern 'burbs. I don't even like driving on 394 anymore. Courtesy seems to be something expected but not practiced by the Lakies and westies. Get there first, grab the most.

Reply to
Don Foreman

You wouldn't have found one within 50 miles. I checked as far west as Rogers and as far north as Forest Lake. All gone.

Reply to
Don Foreman

We have a Danfoss propane reefer in the truck camper, but the freezer is just adequate to make a few ice cubes. I think I want a genny that makes 220 so I can just pull the main breaker, plug the genny into a welder outlet and power the house, being very selective about loads of course.

Many Minnesotans, particularly those ex-metro, are quiet survivalists of a sort though they probably wouldn't acknowledge the label. They just regard it as common sense. Survival kits go into the car trunks every year about 1 November. Breaking and entering in the nighttime is almost unheard of in the northern suburbs for some reason.....perhaps the burglars are "Minnesota nice"?

Reply to
Don Foreman

Don,

Whereabouts do you live? I'm in the northern part of Andover, just south of Oak Grove between Round Lake Blvd and Hanson.

I was fortunate enough to come out of the storm unscathed but a coworker of mine who lives off of Bunker had two nice large trees down and most of his privacy fence was destroyed. He will need a new roof, new siding, and new facia due to the hail. Our work (in north Minneapolis) was out of power Thursday, so I spent the day at his house practicing my chainsaw skills. The whole day there I heard nothing but chainsaws and the sound of the news helicopters overhead. I hope he has good insurance.

I have a fellow church-goer who has seven trees down in her place in Brooklyn Park. I'll be over there soon to assess the situation. Maybe some can be saved, but we will see.

It was good to see all the neighbors come to each other's aid.

Relz

Reply to
Relz

Interesting approach. I would worry of course that the main might be stuck closed for some unlikely reason. If you *do* go about doing something illicit like this, you might want to pull *all* the breakers in the panel, and then test across both poles of the main with a proper wigger tester that measures continuity on hot stuff. Then close the load breakers and tie in.

That way you'll be sure the main is open and nobody can get hurt.

And of course, tag the main out so nobody shows up and flips it closed at a 'bad' time.

*If* you were thinking of doing this, hypothetically speaking and all.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I'm in Fridley, just west of East River Road and south of Osborne Road. I think Andover got hit harder than we did, though there are still parts of Fridley that are without power.

Reply to
Don Foreman

My neighbor set up his generator in the above method. I told him it was a bad idea. Someone could get hurt. He used a cord with male plugs on both ends. Instead of having the one in the house male. Which would seem to be the way it should be set up, if at all, because the house is disconnected from the mains and so there would be no power present at the plug unless it was covered by, and connected to, the generator receptacle. I didn't help him because it's dangerous. I did tell him how I would do it if I had to. Anyway, he's at work, and we are having a windstorm and the power is turning off and on. His wife calls and asks me to start the generator (she's not so strong) so it will be running when the power goes out and all she has to do is throw the switch that disconnects the house from the mains and connects the generator. I get the generator started and she hands me the cord. It won't fit into the genny receptacle because one of the blades on the plug is slightly bent. So I grab the goddamned thing and it shock the shit out of me! My neighbor had wired the thing up so two switches had to be thrown and his wife had only thrown one! He had it set up so you had to throw the main breaker off and then turn on another breaker toconnect certain circuits. I was so stupid to grab the blade on that plug. Especially after I had told him what NOT to do, and how to wire it so that there was no way he could backfeed the mains. Of course he was gonna do it the wrong way and I should have known better. It's too bad the plug didn't slide right in to the generator. Because if it did there would have probably destroyed the generator. I'm still pissed about how stupid I was, and how stupid my neighbor is. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

A spectacular example of "no good deed goes unpunished"

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Any time I see a suicide cord, I figure it requires *special* respect. And that goes for cords with alligator clips on one end, cords with two male cord caps, or cords with bare wires at the other end.

They don't call 'em suicide cords for nothing.

If I were to set something like this up, I would never allow anyone to think about setting it in operation.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Right. Thanks for mentioning those prudent measures for the hypothetical case where someone might do such a thing.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Good points all. I'm the only one that would ever do anything electrical around here, but I'll still be re-thinking this a bit.

By "pulling the breaker", I meant pulling it so it's in my hand, then set aside. Perhaps it would have to be inserted into my "transfer box" at the genny to connect. It can only be in one place at a time.

A double-ended plug does sound like asking for trouble. I'll contrive some kind of safe connection scheme. Switches and relays are definitely not to be trusted. An FMEA (Failure Mode Effects Analysis) is in order here.

No hurry. I'll take the time to get it right. A transfer switch is the certified "right" way to do it -- about $300 for $15 worth of stuff.

Reply to
Don Foreman
ßx??W]Ü6|?_Ñyñ&??n½±s?u?8Éàó!6??z$îH¤BRV&¿þª??v´Þ` Ø}õGUu?|ïèw{ºþ?>ð@×WW/éù·7/?ßF??c Ìd¥?)?±:ReúÞÊ1éÝ^ú?Ãcm¤»1&25ÿ1???zs?L?ÈVLÕXr,n?#þ??Ã7?s§?Ö$éúú?¢Ç7`Ð\ÃØuZWoPvï¡Zº±ÑûÖ:?ghâ®FÏ~L£ WÓà'?o[?FF°?­kè?Eî¸JVà+ñÍc;oêHþ@?C?"êÖ%?$1È0U[B?»ÿ$^ã??Ü?ý¬??)&e¯ó?k:øÜz¦ÑuöÈÝ T?èd9Ð?tYûKjüã]Õ^J?ÂYC¶ëleI,¡1î5???é´Ê?éº?á¤?????Mô×í\â?ª ò,}jÁJ?*? ¨@LoÕ2è?lÓ?£d??Ðò?£?M@?äÏúv?°ù(?(?Z£{_¸?j
Reply to
Gunner