Storm recovery

I forgot to mention that another neighbor at the lake is Dave, a lineman. Dave asked me today about this genny or that since he knows I've been thinkin' about that. Dave makes wonderful brandy alexanders. He is definitely a better lineman than I'd ever be. Who is the best walleye fisher is a continuing matter of friendly contention.... he's ahead at the moment.

Reply to
Don Foreman

U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld is giving the President George W. Bush his daily briefing on Iraq. He concludes by saying: "Yesterday, three Brazilian soldiers were injured." "Oh no!" cries the President. "That's terrible!" His staff sits stunned at this display of great emotion, nervously watching as the President sits, head in hands. Finally, President Bush looks up and asks, "How many is a brazillion?"

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I'm using an Onan 2 cyl. gen. from an air force light cart. Military unit and has 2000 W printed on it. Almost exactly like the 5000 W units in RV's externally. I talked to an engineer at Onan and gave him all the spec. nos. off the thing and he said that was a unit that was derated to 2000 W as it may be used at a high altitude military facility. He said it would put out

4000 W all day at my elevation. But it's 120 v. only and the engine is a 24 v. system. I feed it into both sides of my dist. panel. Of course all my 220 loads are inop., but it'll run a hot plate, all the house lights and the well pump. The forced air cooling exhaust duct is plumbed into the back wall of the garage and keeps it nice and warm during a winter power outage. Grunts pretty hard when the 1 horse well pump kicks on, though. A friend that deals in these large surplus resales had two of them and told me if I'd get one running for him, he'd give me the other one. Very easy unit to fix and there was a parts dist. place locally. They both were very low hours, (my engine was still tight), and had had a few parts cannibalized by the military. Mine a fuel leak at the pump that just needed a screw tightened and I guess that's why it was made a hangar queen. Just recently bought a 15 KW Kohler from the town of Beech Mountain, NC that only had 421 hours on it. Propane/LNG and a 4 cyl. air cooled Wisconsin engine. Got struck by lightning and knocked out the voltage regulator. That'll be my winter project. We get a lot of outages where I live, and I'd like to have my heat pump back and my water heater.
Reply to
gfulton

And yet, your reasonable precautions have already been shown, in your direct personal experience, to be unreliable.

Kinda like the guys not pushing buttons you asked them not to? Apparently "lockout-tagout" doesn't exist in your world?

And most people would notice, after their safety precautions have failed them several times, that they're insufficient.

Reply to
Dave Hinz