Colorado USA area snow storm

One more time, the midwest USA (in particular, Denver, CO) is getting a snow storm before the rest of the country. Do we have anyone in that area?

Are the roads passable? Is the power on? Are the critical systems like grocery stores working?

Everyone OK?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Since when did Denver move to the Midwest?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

About the same time it became On Topic in RCM!

Steve

Reply to
Steven J Masta

You know, I've always wondered about that. Why is the eastern quarter of the US the mid west?

Reply to
cavelamb

Because Chicago was on the western edge of the Northwest Territory.

pyotr filipivich

They got better federal stimulus money, there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now that's even stranger!

I always thought the Northwest Territory was the western half of Canada.

Reply to
cavelamb

There were three of them in the US, and one in Canada. We kept redefining the Northwest Territory in the US as we moved westward. The one Pyotr is referring to was the first, which included Ohio.

I mean, when Pittsburgh is the western frontier of civilization, what do you call Cincinnati?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Home of WKRP (and damned little else these days)

Reply to
cavelamb

"That blue-law town in the southwest of the Ohio territory where they roll up the streets at 9:00PM."

That description also applies now that Cincinnati is in the Eastern US.:)

Reply to
John Husvar

Reply to
David Lesher

It is, now, if you are Canadian. If you are Pakistani, or old British Raj, the Northwest Territories are that region near the Afghan border.

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that "Roger Shoaf" on or about Mon, 7 Dec 2009 09:00:54 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Has to be the "midwest". Of course, I'm from where you go east for Cowboys.

pyotr filipivich

Currently 4 degrees, going on subzero, no flaking, probably about 1/4" of snow since last night. Southwest CO got nailed, 3' or better,

60-70 mph winds. And it's all headed east. Maybe 1-2" on my porch rail right now.

As far as midwest, I consider Denver the eastern edge of the West. Anything east of the Mississippi is the East, and you can keep it.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Let the Record show that snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com on or about Tue, 8 Dec

2009 15:02:45 -0800 (PST) did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

It all depends on your situation. I'm from that part of the country which considers Denver as "back East" some where. 'Over near Chicago, I think.' I'm reading Niall Ferguson's "The Ascent of Money" and he has a chapter on "Chiamerica" - how China and the US for a long time had a symbiotic economic relationship - and everybody was getting rich (at least, locally). But at one point he writes "For a time it seemed like a marriage made in heaven. The East Chimericans did the saving, the West Chimericans did the spending." Say what? The Americans did the spending .. oh, he's got that east coast/Europe "Atlantic Centric" perspective, where the US is "west" and the China is "east". But here on the US Left coast, umm ... China is "west", and the "Americans" are 'east'.

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

But only for you folk on the backside of the earth ;-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Porkopolis

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In California, it's been snowing in the mountains for some time, and nasty cold everywhere else.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It was named before "the west was won"? ;-)

Maybe the right-coasters think everything to the left of Indiana is "The West". ;-)

When I moved to CA from MN, the left-coasters called MN "back east." ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Fort Apache? ;-)

Actually, it was never the "frontier of civilization". The Original Americans were civilized for hundreds of years before the white Europeans brought them measles, smallpox, dysentery, plague, cholera, alcohol, etc., and steamrollered over the "treaties," raping their women and slaughtering men, women, and children.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise