electrical power

Iam doing an english technical report and have a question to ask to help finish the report. I was wondering what the electrical power
would be on the electrical lines in a residential area feeding the houses before it goes to the transformers for the houses, and what the power would be to a industrial building. I know that the power to an industrial would vary from plant to plant depending on what they do, but if I can get an idea it would help. Thanks

Exactly the same as the power after the transformer. (ignoring transformer losses)
--
Stuart Winsor

From is valid but subject to change without notice if it gets spammed.
Stuart wrote:

You are going to confuse the OP with semantics.
What the OP want to know is: What is the _voltage_ on typical distribution circuits in a residential area.
Primary distribution voltages vary from 2400 volts, line to neutral (4160 volts line to line) up to 34 kV line to line. In the USA, each phase is stepped down to 240 volts with a 120 volt center tap for residential loads. In other countries, the service voltages differ (220 V is common in Europe, for example). Commercial service is available at a variety of voltages. For all but the smallest commercial accounts, three phase is supplied. Some common values are 120/208 Volt Wye, 240 Volt delta with a 120V tap on one leg, 277/480 Volt Wye.
Some large industrial loads are supplied with the utilities primary distribution voltage.
--
Paul Hovnanian snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com

No it's not semantics - it's being accurate. If he's going to write a paper, then it should be correct in use of the various engineering terms.

Then why didn't he say so?

These are US figures. In the UK we have 275kV, 132kV, 32kV and 11kV before the local distribution which is 415V (all the above being 3 phase voltages)

it's officially been 230V for the last 4 years.

US only

yes.
--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11
snipped-for-privacy@charleshope.demon.co.uk says...

s/engineering/scientific/
Why not educate, rather than confuse? He'll never get it correct if you confuse him more. It's not like he made an ass out of himself and deserved a slap.

Have you never been in the situation where you didn't know enough to ask an intelligent question? How do you bootstrap yourself out of that situation, or do you just sit there dumb because you don't want to look stupid?
--
Keith

If he doesn't know the difference between power and voltage he shouldn't be writing a "technical paper".
--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11
snipped-for-privacy@charleshope.demon.co.uk says...

You snipped the "english" in front of "technical report". It appeared to me he was writing a report for an English class and was merely looking for information. Instead, he got slammed by the big bad, macho, engineers. You don't have to be a prick, just because you know something others don't.
--
Keith

and, as an engineer, you shouldn't be sloppy in your use of words or measurements. Otherwise you'll have something worse than a Mars' probe being destroyed on landing or a little problem at 3 Mile Island.
--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11
snipped-for-privacy@charleshope.demon.co.uk says...

*You* don't have to be sloppy. *You* don't have to slam "outsiders" who are. *You* can correct them nicely and teach them the correct terminology, while *you* answer their questions. If that's too much work, *you* could STFU and let others answer. But, I think I understand you now. Because we're engineers, the union doesn't allow us teach our "secret handshakes" to others. Instead we *must* slap them upside the head. Got it. I musta been out sick the day they covered that part of the union rules.
--
Keith

[Snip]
[Snip]
and I didn't - it was someone else. I

I still don't know what the real question is. Others have made guesses.

What union? - you must have strange ways in the USA
--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11
snipped-for-privacy@charleshope.demon.co.uk says...

*You* are the one complaining about having to be sloppy because someone else was ignorant.

Such is the Usenet. <shrug>

Sheesh.
--
Keith

----------------------------
wrote:

------------------ Aren't you ashamed for trying to help and guide someone rather than cast them out as idiots?
There are quite a few "sick" engineers, including those who teach engineering when the "secret handshakes" were handed out. You, Daestrom, Paul H. etc. I hope I can be included in your company.

remove the X to answer

I visited a newsgroup a year or two ago about HVAC systems. I've dabbled in that over the years and thought I'd have a look see. Now there was a group that not only had secret handshakes, they had special door knocks and special authentication via emoticons. If you weren't able to rattle off fifteen buzzwords and cite a few certifications you were promptly drummed out of the club. Okay, maybe that's an exageration, but they were a pretty tight little clique and had no interest in helping a novice or someone 'not in the trade'.
Oh well, maybe they're like good scotch and get mellower with age :-)
daestrom
daestrom@NO_SPAM_HEREtwcny.rr.com says...

I know *exactly* what you mean. The HVAC nuts are all over the homeowner groups. To hear them tell it, it's the hardest job on the planet.

No. Like old spinsters, they just get crankier.
--
Keith

krw wrote:

Other than working in hot or dirty places, it's one of the simplest jobs in a home. I wrote software for a HVAC company, years ago, to calculate the heat load, select the proper equipment, and print out the bid. They were yammering about how hard the work was, and how NO home owner was smart enough to do their own work. What a pathetic bunch of maroons. :(
I was working at a TV station in Orlando in 1987. They had a 5 ton AC unit to cool the equipment racks. It barely kicked on, yet the equipment was running hot. They had been to the station a half dozen times, once with a factory "Engineer" and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. I took one look and spotted the problem. All the vents were in the ceiling of the tiny area. The face of the racks were in the control room, and there was a row of sliding doors in the hallway behind the racks to access the wiring. The air above the racks was 60 degrees F. The air inside the racks was over 100 degrees F. All the cabling and the layout of the racks and equipment was causing severe stratification. I asked them to remove one of the supply vents and attach a piece of flexible ducting, and drop the other end to the floor. They all jumped on me, bragging about how many years experience they had, combined, and that I couldn't POSSIBLY know what i was talking about. I shrugged and said, "Then prove me wrong, if you can." They got pissed, but one of them went to his truck for his tools and some duct. He hooked it up and dropped it to the floor. i set their thermometer on the top of a piece of equipment, and closed the doors. 15 minutes later, the equipment cabinets were cold to the touch, and they were all red faced. They had screwed around for two years with it, while the station spent thousands of dollars per quarter on failed components and kept the engineers busy, trying to keep the studios up and running.

prove it.

Well, <looks at feet>, I guess so.

Me? This power stuff is Greek to me. I avoided it like the plague in college (I do microprocessor and logic design). I find it interesting now, so read what you folks here have to say. I've been peeking at your hands.
--
Keith

Don Kelly wrote:

The only 'secret handshake' I can recall is the one with the middle finger extended.
--
Paul Hovnanian snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com

I thought that was the new retirement plan.
--
Keith

Well, I notice so far, no-one has bothered to explain the concepts of voltage, current and power before launching into lists of the different voltages to be found on a system
--
Stuart Winsor

From is valid but subject to change without notice if it gets spammed.

Judging by his rather elementary question about 3 phase motors, who can be sure? I wouldn't assume he ment power.