CAD software - ownership or licensed?

here's a wee story of interest ( well I think so) I found while surfing the net.

Autocad have tried to stop someone selling 'their' software saying that it isnt for sale/resale just licensed to be used...

Seems the judge found in this case it was for sale and allowable to resell it although there are aspects of the rights still unexamined. I guess this has implications for the whole CAD industry seeing as how they all perpetrate much the same, you might say, 'draconian' conditions. on their prized 'customers'.

there is a link to the judgement there (PDF format)

cheers Neil

Reply to
neil

Interesting,... very interesting!!! 8^)

=2E.

Reply to
zxys

"neil" wrote in news:g1gbdb$phh$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

The software packages were originally "sold" to Cardwell/Thomas Associates (?CTA?), who, in turn sold them to Timothy S. Vernor, who sells them on Ebay for a living. CTA is bound by the First Sale Doctrine, not Vernor.

6-8 B. Mr. Vernor Is Entitled to the Protection of the First Sale Doctrine.
  1. If It Applies, the First Sale Doctrine Immunizes Mr. Vernor.

17-18 B. Mr. Vernor?s Resale of AutoCAD Packages is Not Contributory Copyright Infringement.

18-21 C. Autodesk Has Not Established that Its License Binds Mr. Vernor or His Customers.

You can bet your boots they'll be chasing CTA next.

Rewrite of EULA in 3.. 2.. 1..

/interesting indeed

Reply to
Rod Morningwood

Of course all you have to do then is figure out how to register SW without SW giving a new registration code for the new hardware it is installed on.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

I don't think it will be difficult for software makers to come up with a new model. Leasing media. Sell media for $1 and then sell license. Something will change.

Reply to
That70sTick

indeed you can bet Autodesk will be out to nail this shut with a legal slegde hammer.

no doubt other CAD companies will be quietly encouraging them too lest the comfortable tyranny unravels for them as well..

somehow I doubt the judge realised in making the distinction regarding sale vs license it might have mega dollar industry consequences as a precedent.

perhaps we should have an internet fund raiser to assist the minor parties? it might be a be nice opportunity to test the validity of these one sided license terms for everyone ;)

Reply to
neil