which tool steel

Karl Townsend wrote:

D2 may be a viable option. You can mill it, and without saying too much, a previous employer used custom-milled knives made from D2 to slice sheet steel parts. I didn't make very many knives, but they sure made a lot of parts with the knives I did make. HTH.
Later,
Charlie
Run a rockwell test on it and match that using 4140.
Karl Townsend wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

A friend with a wire edm shop had a job making pruner blades out of solid carbide. It was for a pneumatic industrial pruner, I assume this is the same application.
Fred
Snip

go
The pruner may be out of production but the factory may still be open with other products in the works. Drop a dime. Tom

message

SNip
Is there a patent # on the pruner? Try the USPO web site. Tom

If the company is still in existence, why not give then a call and ask for the specs of the blade material they used. It'll probably take some perseverence to get to the right department. Start with tech service or engineering.
While your talking with the company, buy as many replacement blades as you can.
--
J Miller
"Karl Townsend" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net remove .NOT> wrote in

I'd agree with that, but are you sure it is a tool steel? Does it rust? If it is soft enough to sharpen with a file I would wonder if it is just a carbon steel, fairly heavily tempered. I'd agree with some of the other posters though. Try and match the Rockwell hardness (small engineering workshop or technical college). There are hand-held instruments for analysing steels which you might find at a large engineering works. The older, low tech ones strike an arc and you measure the spectrum (some skill needed!) but I saw one a couple of years back which did an X ray analysis and confirmed very quickly and easily the stem and seat material of a 1 inch valve which had failed. Very impressive, cost about $10,000 though.

You could always put some stelite steel where it cuts, like they do for aircraft valves.
Just part of the valve face is stellite. You can see the layer when you regind then. Tough steel.
xman
I think you are trying too hard to find the same metal. Do a Rockwell hardness test and then pick some steel that is easy to heat treat to the same hardness. Or maybe a steel as stressproof that is already that hardness.
When in doubt start with O-1 Medium wear, medium toughness, medium distorsion in heat treat, and high machinability. Normal range of hardness C 58 to 62.
Dan
Karl Townsend wrote:

wrote in message

for a

I worked quiet a while at a place that made rotary cutting and creasing machines. They used 4140ht for the knives. Heat treated and ground. At one time we made some prototypes from material called "Ferrotic". It was new technology at the time. The knives worked great but the company did a great deal of business on replacement parts so they priced them where no one would buy them and then discontinued production due to low demand. I believe it is a pressed powdered carbide and something else product. You had to heat treat the stuff wrapped in foil packed in charcoal. It was interesting. this is the stuff:
http://www.kuksung.co.kr /

apples
ye, I meant quite
Perhaps you should consider sending your orchards overseas instead of dealing with all the hassle of making new blades :)
--
J Miller
"Karl Townsend" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net remove .NOT> wrote in
Im thinking S7. Do a google and you will see it would work perfect.