Wirebrushing with spiral brushes

It is a follow up to my question abotu chosing wire brushes.

After having bought a couple of spiral would wire brushes, I tried one yesterday, for removing a lot of rust from irregularly shaped surface.

When mounted on my angle grinder, a 3" brush worked very effectively and removed rust very quickly. They were rather brutal in general. The pieces that fly away also are quite dangerous, and eye protection is a must. I am very happy with the they work, all in all.

Ignoramus6528

You don't say if the brush was a cup or wheel. I assume you mean a "Knot-type" construction. I assume it's foreign or you are using it wrong if it is sheading wire that badly.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It is a cup type brush. I believe that it is foreign made.

Ignoramus6528

It's hard to find a domestic. Most purchasing agents are punk kids that don't know the difference, and don't care. They are "Heros" for saving the company a buck...damn the customer and supplier. Most of my customers for those brushes are in ship building and repair and DOD.

If I might ask, what did you pay?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yes.

See eBay item 130040270617, $7.50 plus $4.95 shipping.

Ignoramus6528

Bingo. Mistake #1

Im using Toms cup brushes. Ive got a 5" on my big Milwaukee angle grinder and 3" ones on my small grinder. The big one has been on since..hum...2004. I figure its about half used up. Ive knocked the rust and paint off probably several thousand square feet of rusty nasty shit. Beams, channel, pipe, boxes and electrical cans. Stuff with big sharp corners inside and out. I dig DEEP into channel.

Id have been on the second case of import brushes by now.

Really really good shit Maynard

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

At the risk of jumping into this thread, and hijacking, I will add my two pennies:

I use wire brushes on my Makitas. About 14,000 RPM IIRC. If not, they spin pretty fast.

I bought the types of brushes that have straight wires, and found that they fly off LOTS. Unless you are using them for very very light touch finishing.

What I found I preferred were the CUP KNOT types of wire brushes. They have several strands, and each bunch bound together in a spiral. They fly off MUCH LESS.

That said, ON ANY TYPE OF ELECTRIC WIRE BRUSH, be it chucked up to a low RPM drill or to a high RPM hand grinder, WEAR FULL FACE PROTECTION. I pull strands regularly from my Wrangler khaki shirt fronts and sleeves. I have even pulled them from my skin in various places. I like to wear clear safety glasses AND a face shield when using these little tigers.

I have gotten metal fragments in my eyes two times that had to be removed by a doctor. BOTH times, I had safety glasses on.

Point is, cup knot brushes let loose fewer strands than straight wire cup shaped brushes. Even spiraled stringer brushes (flat type rather than cup style) throw off fewer strands than regular straight strand stringer brushes.

Burn up ten to twenty of them and compare the results. Hoping you have worn proper eye protection in the meantime, and can report back your findings, that is.

There is no meaner piece of machinery in my shed than my little grinders, whether they have a wheel on them or a brush.

THEY'RE NASTY LITTLE BASTARDS. And any time you tangle with them, you lose.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I tried one of these and gave up on the whole wire brush experience.

OK, you sold me. Where do I buy one for my side grinder?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Yes, I did wear full eye protection that goes over eyeglasses and is flush fit with face. It is a 100% necessity.

Ignoramus8450

Or Ping Tom Gardner

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:VUY5h.6152$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Apples for brushes?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You got a deal!!!!!

Like Honeycrisp?

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I'm with Steve - use knotted on my MILWAUKEE and wear a full front leather apron welding gloves and clear face shield.

I haven't gotten hit - think I threw some, but mostly I grind down the ends of the knots!

It seems like I got a good one and I - (hint!!! - put the right corner - from 12 to 4 or 5 o-clock and it doesn't buck as much and may not throw metal wires as much! ) don't throw at myself. Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Steve B wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Whether you are using a brush or a disc, the contact point on the brush/disc is critical. If you hit the wrong spot, it can kick violently. Even break into shards. Trouble is that you can only find out by experience, and that by messing up now and again. But if you've ever had a really hard kick, or have it even kick out of your hands, you will remember what NOT to do with it.

It's all over in an instant, and you're counting fingers and looking around for blood.

I tell ya, hand grinders are one of the nastiest tools I can think of.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Tom, you will like Honeycrisp! They fetch nearly twice the price of Fuji's (which are pretty good apples) in the local produce market and they're worth it. I'm not an apple grower, just an apple eater.

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 18:39:56 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Steve B" quickly quoth:

Try it with a Lancelot disk on the business end. That's 11,000 RPM of chainsaw there.

Vroom, vroom!

------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment

Comprehensive Website Design ======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

someone ought to shoot a new movie, "Texas angle grinder massacre"...

Ignoramus11550

"Larry Jaques" wrote >

When I need a chain saw I just fire up the Husky. Those look wicked. Most directions on angle grinders say, "NOT TO BE USED WITH A CUTTING BLADE."

But then, who reads directions?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 02:49:54 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus11550 quickly quoth:

My Lancelot will chop a tubafore in half in under 6 seconds. Ar, ar, ar!

------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The issue is..with some angle grinders..the blade boss is very short..and if you remove the guard..which most folks do..it may well eat the skin on the top of your knuckles. The small shaft Makita is noted for this. Ive still got the slowly healing scars after 2 yrs, from just a grinding disk.

Gunner

Gunner