Wiring gauge for branch circuit to lathe

I'm adding wiring for a 3hp 3ph lathe. I'm goint to use a VFD when 1 ph input. I'm out of slots in my breaker box. So I am going to add another box about 20' away from the main box. I'm going to feed it off the breaker that ran the mill. Off of this 2nd box I'm going to run the lathe and mill. Only one machine will be run at a time. However I may move the air compressor to the 2nd box at a future date. I have a 50a pushmatic breaker I can add to the original box. Since I don't have the NEC handbook, I need to know what gauge wire to run 20' that can handle 50amps. The wire choices @ Menards is for 8 or 6 gauge THHN. It looks line #8 is sufficient, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

PrecisionMachinisT

Wow there are 2 memebers here named "wayne"

Reply to
Wayne

More than 2 at my last count.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Thanks,

I did searches all over the place and all I found where places that would sell the NEC handbook or give classes on how to read it. It seems the rules we are supposed to use for wiring are so Top Secret that we aren't supposed to know what they are.

Wayne

I hardly ever run into any other Waynes. The first place I worked had 2 others before I started.

The only other one I've dealt with recently (besides you guys) is from the Mich DNR when we build decking for trails. When somebody yells for Wayne, I don't know if they are asking for me or not.

Reply to
Wayne

Were you building the decking at Quinnesec?

Jim Kovar Vulcan, Mi

Reply to
Jim

On 8 Jun 2004 15:34:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com (Wayne) calmly ranted:

Classes are a near necessity to read it, and I've done my own wiring for two decades now. Try your local library for their reference copy. They can't leave the library but you can puzzle over it there.

There used to be a free NEC site online, where you could read the entire book online, but it's now limited to licensed electricians only.

------------------------------------------------------- "i" before "e", except after "c", what a weird society. ----

Dynamic Website Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I worked on the Porterfield trail decking in '02. A few years before that was Silver Creek. Both in the U.P. I and two others did the trail maintenance on Porterfield this and last year. I'm from Illinois. The U.P. is the best, closest place for me to ride.

Reply to
Wayne