WTF is it!?

Reply to
Machineman

--Where's this junkyard?? If you paid less than $40/lb for the stuff I'm going to drive there!!

Reply to
steamer

Agreed.

Don't think it's titanium, it's much too heavy. Plus I tried forging it... although titanium is forged industrially, no?

Doesn't do anything with the grinder either, and I remember from BattleBots that titanium makes some kickass showers of white sparks when the killsaws hit it. ;-)

BTW I returned the stuff to the 'yard and managed to get my $50 back... still have to grab some aluminum though. Kept a chunk though, it weighs 532 grams. A cut-up milk jug weighs 15g, and after displacing water into it, weighs 85g, i.e. 70g of water. 532/70 = 7.6 specific gravity.

Tim

Tim Williams

Be my guest, it's sitting at Stateline Recycling in Janesville, WI.

Tim

Tim Williams

Reply to
Machineman

But that would throw sparks and be magnetic. This stuff is running me (us) in circles...

Tim

Tim Williams

Stateline???? I'll be damned...I work about 2 blocks from there, Tim.

Hmmm...we're neighbors...do we know each other???

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

You sure you aren't thinking of magnesium instead of titanium?

Reply to
John Keeney

Ti burns the same way magnesium does.

Reply to
gene lewis

It's harder to light. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow
300 series Stainless is not magnetic when annealed. When cold worked it is somewhat magnetic. It also does not throw sparks.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

No way it gets this hard though, and it's hot workable.

Are the hard, high-temp alloys like inconel non-sparking?

Tim

Tim Williams

No, titanium may be just a little harder to get ignited than Magnesium, but it burns with about the same intensity. It can also cause massive explosions if you try to put it out with water. If it burns with an intense white flame, then you can use the weight to tell the two apart.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I don't know.... haven't read the whole thread.... but I firmly believe you are in a strong position for :The American Experience"...... you bought low... NOW SELL HIGH....!

Reply to
Gene Kearns

I heard that clorine attacks Ti. Wonder what it does to Magnesium ?

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I think that's dry chlorine. Wet chlorine doesn't phase it. Keeping track of titanium fittings in a chlorine liquefaction plant is important. If it were accidentally used after the chlorine is dried, the resulting chlorine fire could start a chlorine - iron fire in adjacent equipment.

Chlorine with anything isn't a test I'd want to run at home. Probably kill the cockroaches, though.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III