Your Favorite Carbide Burr - What You Use it For

I've got the usually handful of garbage burrs when picks up before you realize that this could be a serious tool with the right drive. I have a couple low end pneumatic die grinders as well. I never care for any of those type of air tools. They use to much air and even largish home shop compressor can't keep up for more than a few minutes.

Well recently I picked up an electric die grinder. No not a dremel or dremel clone. (I actually dislike Dremel rotary drive tools although they make some useful accessories.) A serious chunk of motor with a 1/4 inch drive. Something with some umph!

I'd like to pick up some better carbide burrs. Maybe get away from those things that look more like rotary rasps even. LOL. I was wondering what burr you keep in your die grinder? Which one is most likely to still be in the tool when you pick it up? Well if you weren't the guy who always takes the burr out and puts it back in the case. What is the most useful burr you own?

What do you use a die grinder for most often with that burr?

My intent is back grinding aluminum welds (as Polack suggests in his book on boat building) in marine applications before back welding a seam. To be fair I may not do it much though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Used a GE die grinder a lot to do port and polish work on engines. Works good but tires out your arms after a bit. For aluminum work I used a lot of the coarse burrs in various shapes. The coarse ones don't load up as fast as they heat up. For welding work I used a ball end and a 45 degree burr. Plus a few straight ones.

Reply to
Steve W.

I use flame or conical burrs to flatten inside corner welds in angle iron frames, and to smooth pipe tee and angle weld fillets in areas my hands might grab. I think I used one to find and smooth the solid edges of rust holes in my truck, before welding in flush patches.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins