1/4" Camera thread?

What's the thread for a standard camera mount? Is it 1/4"-20 tpi with

55 degree threadform?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

Yep - there are two standard threads - one is 1/4" Whitworth, the other is 3/8" Whitworth.

Alternatively, you can use the well-known Metric threasds, M6.35 X

1.27 or M9.525 X 1.5875...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Ta ;o)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

On or around Wed, 09 May 2007 19:57:33 +0100, Chris Eilbeck enlightened us thusly:

otherwise known as 1/4" whitworth. Yes, I believe so. might be 1/4-20 UNC.

There's also a larger one used on bigger cameras.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The standard thread is definitely Whitworth.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

We fit a threaded insert to a part at work, to allow it to fit on standard tripods and I'm sure it's 1/4 UNC.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

In practice, 1/4 W and 1/4 UNC nuts/bolts are interchangeable, and UNC is probably more easily obtainable than Whitworth these days. However, the standard 1/4" camera mount thread is Whitworth.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

It's 1/4" BSW, which I think is a "yes" to your question.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

On or around Wed, 09 May 2007 19:59:38 +0100, Tony Jeffree enlightened us thusly:

they'd need to invent a special series with 55 degree thread forms...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Cool. I can go make swarf with confidence now!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

Ooh - just remembered. While there is a (well established) standard for thread form, there is NO standard for the depth of the socket on cameras.

It is possible (and has happened) to put the mounting bolt THROUGH the bottom of the socket, and INTO the guts of the camera.

This is why older tripods has a bolt and a tensioner, as opposed to a simple bolt with a head.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear