6mm inline coupling and shaft: equal to 1/4" imperial?

I've got an electric motor. Shaft is 1/4 ". I'm busy looking for two shafts and two inline couplings so I can extend the electric motor shaft.
I have seen some 6mm shafts and couplings. Is that basically 1/4" stuff? Or do I need something described as 6.3mm? TIA.

You need something described as 6.35mm.

Actually, when I think about it, if 6.0mm shaft *is* 6mm (and I suppose it will be) I could just run a 1/4" drill through the coupler.
Not quite as easy to fit a 6mm shaft into a bush made for a 6.35mm shaft.

Someone has got to have some 1/4" bar somewhere. :c) Here's hoping.
i think that is not better to do this. it is better to use the 1/4"(6.35mm) 'shaft coupling' (http://www.fscoupling.com ) to fit the 1/4" shaft. you can get this coupling from here '6.35mm coupling' (http://www.fscoupling.com/635mm-to-635mm-motion-control-beam-set-screw-coupling-14-635x635mm-flexible-shaft-coupler-diameter-25mm-length-30mm-p-27.html )
anyway, if you want the 6mm coupling, also can check this '6mm coupling' (http://www.fscoupling.com/6mm-to-6mm-flexible-shaft-coupling-0236-6x6mm-flex-clamp-shaft-coupler-connector-diameter-20mm-length-25mm-p-12.html )

--
lusocal
Just wondering, what kind of steel is used in motor armature shafts? Got to be fairly precision made I think.
Rich Wrote:

Oh, yes it is! Thats is a wall thickness of 0.175mm, where is the problem? NED LUDD
--
ned ludd

I'm not an engineer so I am a bit green. :c)
So, it won't be too slack a fit to use a 6mm bar an a bush made for 1/4"?
Also, I see that I can get 1/4" stainless steel bar on Ebay. I guess these bars would be okay, I mean, I guess there is no particular requirement as to precision in the diameter of bar. That is the logic if I can use 6mm bar in a bush made for 6.35mm bar.
If no one pipes up and says it's not kosher, I might as well get a set of *ordinary* 1/4" stainless steel bars off Ebay.
IIRC motor shafts are made of "E N 8"

One manufacturer says that motor shafts are be made of "40 C8/EN8 materials, or AISI 304, 316, 431, 410".
DC motors from Brook Crompton: "Standard shafts are produced from steel to BS970 Part 1, 080M40, with a tensile strength of 550N/mm2. Request for special shafts manufactured from other grades of steel should be given at the inquiry stage."
I've seen stainless steel mentioned and silver steel.
Not that much on the web about motor shafts and what they are made of.

Which is just another name for EN8.
http://www.kelvinsteels.com/spec_080m40.htm