Academy 1/72 PBY-4 colors?

The Academy 1/72 scale PBY-4 Catalina kit features an aircraft with odd-looking green and grey splinter camouflage, with US stars with the red dot for markings. (It almost looks like an aircraft in RAF colors, or maybe USAAF colors, with US neutrality markings.)

I've never seen a PBY in this scheme, but I don't have any dedicated PBY references, either.

Is this a valid scheme? Where is it from?

This is the PBY -4, not the -5. (By the way, I just finished the -5, and it is a nice kit.)

TIA!

-Bill

Reply to
RC Boater

Two thoughts come to mind: 1.Fleet exercises 2.Delivery aircraft for the RAF in temporary US markings

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Late 1941 experimental camo scheme at Pearl Harbor, or improvised camo for Asiatic Fleet PBY's.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

Bill:

This was an improvised camouflage scheme created by Patrol Wing 10 in the Phillipines just prior to the start of W.W.II. There are no color photographs and only a few B/W photos and some verbal descriptions to go by on this scheme, as PatWing 10 was virtually wiped out in the Phillipines/Java campaign.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Great - I have one sitting ready to be built once I finish the P47 I'm on now!

:-)

Reply to
Mark Warrington

I'm finishing up a full build review for modeling Madness. In general, I really liked the kit. Overall fit was very good. I liked that the kit includes interior detail for the waist blisters (as opposed to the big nothing in th revell kit). The kit's only shortcoming is that there is very little detail in the front end. The cockpit detail is weak, and there is nothing for the nose turret. This is mitigated by the fact that it is hard to see inside up front...

-Bill

Reply to
RC Boater

Thanks for your thoughts. Good job I also bought the Eduard PE then :-)

This modelling is just too addictive!!!!

Cheers, Mark.

Reply to
Mark Warrington