Any experiences with a TOS FN 40?

Hi!
Next Tuesday, I'll have a look at a TOS FN 40, and maybe buy it. So I take the chance to ask wether someone has good or bad experiences with
that specific model and where to look at (weak points)?
TIA, Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
<http://www.yadro.de>

Do you mean an SN40 ?
John S wrote:

No, FN 40. A tool(-room) mill with vertical head (quite similar to the Deckel pattern with removable table (different tables available) and also with a horizontal spindle. "Mine" is equipped with an Huron-head. Don't think that this was an TOS-option.
Travel X:700, Y:300, Z:400 with feed on all axis.
Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
<http://www.yadro.de>

One here:-
http://www.fermatmachinery.com/en/used-machines/20106-tool/081601-fn-40.html
Tim
Tim L wrote:

Well, I'm not looking for one, I'm asking for experiences. But that's the model, right.
Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
<http://www.yadro.de>

no experience of that model, but I have an FNK 25. The TOS build quality seems good, and the manual etc is very good for maintainance etc. I would expect that all there mills are well built. hth (a little)
Dave
I have a Stanko M676P which is almost identical other than some minor styling variations. I presume the design was well distributed around the Soviet bloc.
I think the machine is pretty good. Not so nicely finished as a Deckel, but very nearly as well built except for some rather poor fastners here and there. I have found some of the screw heads are rather soft and prone to getting chewed.
I stripped and serviced my machine when I got it as it was externally foul and I presume from its state un-serviced from new. Internally it showed no signs of wear despite being in daily use in a British factory for over 25 years and from a mechanical design and build perspective I say it's a very nice machine.
Richard

Richard Shute wrote:

That sounds very good! I don't care that much for a super nice finish on the outside.
I'll let you hear what my decision was after having seen the mill.
Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
<http://www.yadro.de>
Nick Mueller wrote:

I didn't buy it. Way too much money for the condition it was in.
But I bought a MAHO MH 700 C yesterday for an almost ridiculous price. Problem is the defunct CNC (a Phillips). I either can repair it or will replace it with emc2.
Ni-3.5 tons will arrive in about two weeks-ck
--
The lowcost-DRO:
<http://www.yadro.de>

Hello Nick, Yes, a Maho is a _very_ nice machine and in the same genre. I've used a manual one, but couldn't afford to buy one. My Stanko came up as a poor-mans alternative for a ridiculous price so I was happy with it. Post a pic or two sometime when you've got it settled.
Rgds Richard
Richard Shute wrote:

She arrived this morning at 2:00. :-) Had a few beer with the two friends that brought here home 'til 3:30 and we got up a bit later. At 12, she was in my shop. Not yet at the right place. I'll try to repair the broken CNC here and move it to an other place later.
Just before unloading: <http://tinyurl.com/8uaq4a
In the shop: <http://tinyurl.com/8cjdbp
And the "tiny" vice. Takes two people to get it on the table: <http://tinyurl.com/a6xnuj
Now, I'll take care for the magic smoke that's constantly escaping <G>
Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
<http://www.yadro.de>

Snip
Are these two lines related in some way <G>
That table would look good in my garage....correction My garage would look good on that table <G>
Enjoy it !!!
Richard
Richard Edwards wrote:

300 kg. I need a crane! And the rotary table I bought some days ago also needs a crane. Think I'll switch back to the FP-1 where I can swap tables without help. ;-)
Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
<http://www.yadro.de>

Ye gods, that's big ! What are you going to make on it Nick ?
--
Boo

Boo wrote:

Compared to a BP, yes. But the travels aren't that big. X 700, Y 450 and Z 500 mm. Well, I wanted a bigger one and my lower limit for X was 600 mm. I had enough situations where the FP-1 was too small. Second, I wanted a CNC, or at least something that was kind of "CNC-ready".
Its mostly the electrical cabinet that makes the mill so big.

Continue making combustion engines. Make tools to make tools to make tools. Refurbish lathes/mills Learn to CNC
Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
<http://www.yadro.de>

Swarf?
Regards, Tony

Cool. I thought you might be going into business or something.
--
Boo