Wanna see my model engines?

Hi

One week of work is uploaded! _BUT_ there still remains the translation to English to be done. So for now you have to live with "a picture is worth a thousand words". However, I think you still will enjoy the page + pictures.

Thanks for the help I got here over the last years*).

If anybody of the rare(?) engine-builders here would like to be linked on my page, drop an eMail**), I'll be glad to add him. And I also would be happy if you would put a link to me onto your page.

*) I have been off for two years and was formerly " snipped-for-privacy@logictools.de" **) from: is valid

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Gee, yes, we want to see your engines. What's the URL?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress
[some pointer to a HP without URL]

**ManOMan**! Guess I need some sleep now! 8-/

Sorry for my nearly useless posting, and thanks to Ed for waking me up!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Nick, those are magnificent. I hope you get the English translations completed soon.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

OK, I'm jealous. Outstanding work.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Thank you! :-)) Well the translation will take some time, first I have to get the German version stable (content- and HTML-wise), but I'll take the chance for a brief description:

ELLWE 2FB:

---------- It's a model of a Swedish 2-stroke 2-zylinder marine Diesel engine, built around 1920. The model has 64 ccm, and works with (home made) spark plugs. To disguise the carb, sucction is from the underside of the cranccase through the base plate. The reversal gear box is working. Also working is the starting by compressed air. The oiler (brass box with bulls eye) is also working (but I don't use it). Yes, the copper tubes are _tubes_. The engine itself is about 410 * 130 * 245 mm (L * W * H) and weights 15 kg. Building the engine was about 600..800 hours of work. I bought the castings and a plan in Italy. But that plan was a mess! It took me weeks to correct it. :-(

VTM 87:

------- This is a 1 cylinder 4-stroke in the style of the Amanco. 87ccm. It wheigts about 27kg. All parts are welded (those that look like castings). The sound is really great. If you listen to the videos, turn up the sub woofer!

cubic:

------

1 cylinder 2 stroke 29ccm. You might ask why it looks so, ummm..., strange. Well, suddenly I had this design in my head and immedeatly started to sketch the outer form of it. I wanted that brick-look without curves. Then, I fittet the necessary things inside. Size is about 250 * 200 mm (base plate). Was just about 40 hours of work. Doesn't run well (due to the small fly wheel) in idle (to be onest, it has no idle), but revs up like mad. Engine looks great if you hang it on the wall like a picture. Yes, it was intended to be a sculpture.

DLM-S3a:

-------- This is a aero-engine where I found plans in "Model Craftsman" from 1933 (a Lindsay reprint). I took the basic design and optimized it, so you can spinn the propeller by blowing in the silicon tube. This is really a cute engine for putting on the desktop.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

I couldn't wait, so I just copied the URL Nick gave us, went to:

and pasted the URL in the "Translate a Web Page" slot, set the translation for German to English, and.....Bob's your uncle."*

You can then navigate through the site and with minor mental manipulation you get a very good idea of what he says about each of the pictures.

Jeff

  • (Bob's your uncle)
Jeff Wisnia

That's really good. Even exploded CAD pictures for the 3 cylinder rotary engine, did you do the propeller also? Are the cylinders off set? Any pictures of the shop, or did I miss that part without translating it?

Reply to
Sunworshipper

No, didn't do the propeller in CAD. This remains a training task to be done later. 'Am not familiar with nurbs yet. The non-virtual propeller I made myself. I was looking for one quite a long time until I was fed up of what I found. Cut some plywood, sand to shape (beld sander), oil, done. 10 minutes if you made your third. Oh, it's not a rotary engine. I made a rotary version of it, but no pics (looks quite the same, only 2 or 3 parts changed), not worth showing.

Not pointing to the CL of crank shaft? No, they are.

No pictures (except of the Deckel FP1 in action and my press) FP1/press (but FP1 only very partial):

OK, I do have pictures of my shop, but they also shoow drunken people, Schnapps-bottles and beer. ;-)) Not for public use!

Hey folks, makes me happy if you like them. Continue asking!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Re; the offset cylinders- you have a master connecting rod or three rods side by side on the journal?

These are beautious little engines, far beyond my attention span and abilities. Many thanks for displaying them.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Cool pix -- I suppose the real story behind the picture at

you are holding the model while the plastic tube goes down to the beer ???

mikey (who someday will get a chance to build an engine)

Reply to
Mike Fields

That one really knocks me out. So, it's a spark-ignition replica of a diesel? Do you have any experience building diesels?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Absolutely fabulous job. Amazing.

Ignoramus6998

Yes. I did the most to hide everything that shows that there is a spark plug and a carb. The spark plug was crammed into the diesel injection. The black wire you see on the photos going to the jet is in fact a HV cable (withstanding 20kV), the thinnest I could find. It took me just a week to make the ignition working (with some rocket science plastics that cost literaly more than gold (18 EUR / gramm). The breaker points and the distributor are in the cylindrical part between engine and gear box. It drove me nuts to make it HV-proof! I would make it simpler the next time (2 ignition coils, 2 breakers, no distributer). As I said, the carb is not directly at the engine, but at the front side of the base plate. Tubes going from the carb to the crank case, every crank case having a reed valve. The original sucked the fresh air from reed valves behind the "ELLWE" plates (oval shaped, two on each side). There is a sectional drawing in Lyle Cunnings book (that book is so great if you like diesels!. Lyle writes great books, but this one is tremendous)

No. But this is another story: My next project is a big stationary Diesel engine that is located in Passau (somewhere between Munich and Salzburg; to give you some reference). It was built 1906. Rudolf Diesel personaly adjusted it. When I was there to have a first look at, I also took the chance to visit the local second hand book seller*). And there I found a book (1936 IIRC) about diesel engines that convinced me, that it could be possible to build ones with say about 100 ccm. I didn't try it yet, but sure sometime. Not with my current project. I didn't decide on the scale yet, so don't know about the ccm's I will have. The problem is the injection pump (you guessed it), not the jet. To make the engine running in idle you have to inject 0,5mm^3 for every 100ccm. Well, that ain't really much. I have seen someone who has built a real diesel with just a few ccm (I guess less than 10) who claims to have an injection pressure of 80 atm. Unfortunately I'm unable to contact him anymore and to squeeze him out.

*) well, "second hand books" sounds like pulp fiction, but those dealers (we call them Antiquariat) do have good and old books. I could waste all my money at them, if there is left something after visiting my tool dealer. :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

No master rod. "KISS" design. :-)

The air operated engine (DLM-S3a) is really simple. If you do have a lathe, some files & drills, a jig saw and a soldering iron you're on the track. The book I adopted the design from is: "Unusual Projects from the first Year of Model Craftsman Magazine". Lindsay Publications; ISBN

1-55918-237-7. Nice reprint, fun reading it! Camden books has it, but there should be a better source in the USA.

You and all the others who like them are welcome! Feel free to ask me another hole into my belly (as we say in German).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

No, that's not mee. A friend of mine. I'm about the same age, but not looking that old. :-)) And no, no beer at that time, it was about 11 am. Sorry. :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Nick, those are some beautiful creations. Good for you!

Orrin

Reply to
Orrin Iseminger

This is really nice work!

There have been carb'd diesels built. Model aircraft diesels burn diesel fuel mixed with ether I think. If the injection pump is too much of an obstacle, this might be an acceptable way around it.

Bob

Reply to
MetalHead

Nick,

Very neat! Would be great to see videos of your other engines running.

Rich

Reply to
aiiadict

This is a question that's interested me for some time: how small can you make a diesel, one that runs on real diesel fuel (cetane +/- 45)?

I asked the question here before, and the consensus was that the smallest

*commercial* diesels were around 300 - 400 cc per cylinder. I didn't check that out because it was far larger than I was interested in, so I suppose the model making community is the place to ask.

There are, as I'm sure you know, some very small model diesels that run on ether (ether/castor oil mixes for the 2-strokes). Someone in Pennsylvania makes such a kit for home machinists.

But the cetane rating of ether is around 85 - 90, so it's not a good basis on which to judge how one would run on conventional diesel fuel. Biodiesel has trouble reaching a cetane rating of 40, so that's probably out.

Do you have any other ideas? I'm thinking of something around 100 cc.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress