still work out there - MN

"The Kid" got laid off Thursday. Last day of work on Friday. He's got a ton o' payments - house, car, student loan, credit cards.

It took him till 10:00 A.M. today to get another good job. He's lead man - programmer, setup, order tooling etc. in a five man shop. Quite a change from the large corporation. Pay is close to the same at $25 but little OT, vs. 10 - 20 hours before.

Biggest issue, he needs a crash course in SurfCam. He's done mastercam for years and had one shop with Gibbs. The owner was just barely able to turn the 'puter on. Where should he go for help?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

He should press the F1 key A LOT. If he's proficient in Mastercam, it will take him just a couple of weeks to learn Surfcam well enough to function. F1 accesses the online manual, and it is context- sensitive. If I were closer he would be welcome to stop over for some one-on-one pointers, but it's about a 26 hour haul from me to Minnesota.

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Biggest issue for him, is urgent upskilling in fiscal management.

Mick

Reply to
Mick

"Karl Townsend" wrote in news:47de950b$0$17914$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

He might want to start with and see if there's a reseller near him that offers courses.

The shop may also be in need of updates to their copy of the software.

Reply to
RAM³

Tell that to the government.

Reply to
ff

It's well worth the $250.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Gunner Asch wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

They're running for the Democrat Party Nomination for President of the USA.

Reply to
Eregon

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If your grammer is correct then I would hope he has learned a lesson. Credit CARDS????? Sounds like he was trying to live far beyond his means. Just how many of those cards were at the credit limit?

It appears that he needs a crash course on managing his income.

Reply to
Unknown

=============== It all depends on your objectives/perspective and position in the food chain.

If you have large amounts of available capital, times could not be better. Huge profits are being made, and the proles are not yet rioting, for example throwing the brokers out the windows on the 37th story or off the roof, rather than waiting for them to jump.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Dont own a credit care, do all my business with cash, all my vehicles are paid for as well as the homestead.

SOP for survivalists.

Ok, will do. Not sure if the local grocery will accept a Euro though..

Silver, ok, Gold is way too expensive anymore for me.

Without going into detail..thats well taken care of. Long term survivalist mainstay.

??? Why would the theme song of the Nazi party be of any interest?

oooookay......

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

============ Gunner:

You ask some serious questions that are well worth asking. I am again appalled, but not surprised, that this is in a newsgroup rather than on national television as these are questions of basic national importance.

IMNSHO, there should be a blue ribbon panel, including the best demographers, actuaries, accountants, sociologists, anthropologists, military, etc. (and even a few politicians), working to answer exactly these questions.

==>It is correctly observed that drastic situations demand drastic remedies, and if you don't want drastic remedies, then it is imperative to avoid drastic situations.*IF* these can be corrected at all. Will we have another Great Depression? Probably not IN EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. That is where money disappears from circulation and there is a crisis deflation.

Ben S. Bernanke the current Fed Chairman and received a PhD in economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1979. Dr. Bernanke is particularly interested in the economic and political causes of the Great Depression, on which he has written extensively. Thus whatever liquidity that is required will be provided. Unfortunately, it is entirely possible for crisis deflation and hyperinflation to exist at the same time. "Money" is defined as a medium of exchange and a measure and store of value. Thus, while there may be enormous amounts of dollars in circulation, possibly in bill denominations of ten million and hundred million dollars (with Alan Greenspan's picture on it?), there may be no "money" available. The Fed is powerless to act at this point, and operationally we segue into another "great depression." (A new unit of money may be required. Based on recent Fed actions, I nominate the "Bernanke" equal to 200 billion US dollars.)

Even if we managed to "dodge the bullet" THIS TIME, the US financial services sector is like a crack-head, always looking for a higher high, and like a crack-head, is doomed to eventually OD, either on larger than expected quantities of uncut "stuff," or "stuff" with especially toxic fillers/extenders. Either way the crack-head is dead or a vegetable.

What can the individual do?

To prevent the train wreck -- nothing. The political influence of the financial services sector and trans-nation corporations is too extensive/pervasive for any meaningful actions to be implemented. After the crack-head ODs it may be possible to enact some reforms, but it will be far too little and far too late.

I suggest the following: (0) Pay your credit card debt down. If you use credit cards, pay these off in full every month. Good used stuff [like a car or truck] that you own outright is better than new stuff you still owe on. (1) Accumulate a reasonable amount of small US bills [1s and

5s] in case the credit card and ATM networks go down. The first thing to do when the ATM and credit card networks come back up is replenish your small bill stockpile. (2) Accumulate reasonable amounts of alternate currencies such as the Euro and Yen, in case the dollar goes "tits up." (3) Accumulate reasonable amounts of silver/gold coins or small (1 oz) ingots based on the value of their metal content in case everything turns to dodo. (4) Try to keep at least 90 days of nonperishable food on hand at all time. 180 days is even better, if just for trading. You don't need to buy this all at one time, just buy a little more than you use each week. Be sure and rotate the stock by using the oldest stuff first. (Be sure and include toilet paper.)

As you are a survivalist, I won't cover other important items, except to note that if the "problems" extend past 90 days, start practicing the "Horst Wessel Lied."

==================

It will never be business as usual again, with or without a "speed bump," as too much is changing (and has changed), from the demographic/ethnic composition of the country to the ownership and control of the major productive assets.

The majority of (and the most foundational/critical) of the nation's productive assets are now owned by trans-national corporations, and these trans-national corporations are now controlled by "citizens of the world."

"Engine Charlie" Wilson [SecDef] correctly observed in the Eisenhower administration "what's good for General Motors is good for the US, and what's good for the US is good for General Motors." John Kennedy correctly stated, "A rising tide lifts all boats." From the founding of the nation through the 1970s, the syllogism "When American Companies do well, America does well, and when America does well, Americans do well" was operational to a considerable extent.

What changed was that there are no more American companies, only trans-national corporations still domiciled in the US, more or less as an accident of history. In increasing numbers of cases, these corporations conduct more business outside the United States than they do internally (e.g. GMC car sales), and the bulk of any profits are shifted, via transfer pricing, to tax havens such as Aruba or the Caymans.

Note that the rapidly falling US dollar is a tremendous profit booster for the trans-national corporations as they can buy/produce goods cheaply here, or pay for supplies in US dollars, and sell in Euros, and Yen, again with the benefits of transfer pricing/tax evasion. US dollar inflation also reduces their bond and other obligations such as pensions, in terms of the Euro and Yen. Thus there is no incentive for the trans-nationals to help stem the decline of the dollar and every reason for them to exacerbate it.

================

When our crack-head financial services sector "tokes" on their pipe that one last time and ODs, it will indeed be a new day and new direction.

=========

Impossible to tell, but the preeminence and influence of the trans-national corporations (and recent trends) strongly suggests some form of neo or crypto fascism [e. g. "Rollerball"]

possibly combined with "unification" of the US, Mexico and Canada into a new North American Republic [with a new currency] and a "fairer" (or at least more "efficient") distribution/organization of territories, i.e. return of large portions of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California to effective Mexican control and/or the creation of totally new states/provinces.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

That's where the Amero comes in...

Reply to
Why

There is one of those.

One could also look back a little at our history George. We apparently have decided to follow the Nixon/Burns 1970/1971 plan, It screwed us then and it will screw us now.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Can you provide some more information? Who is funding? Website/URL? Conclusions?

........................ If at first you don't succeed try, try again.... However this still does not answer the question "does *THE* future exist, or multiple possible futures with differing degrees of probability," and at what level, e.g. individual/short-term, micro, macro.

A major difference between Nixon/Burns and now appears to be the existence of the WTO/NAFTA and the huge proliferation of trans-national corporations outside anyone's control/oversight. Unfortunately, many of our financial powerhouses fall into this category, leading to thoughts about Frankenstein's monster.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

I suggest you put your boots on the ground in the Red states before you make that claim. Might cause you to revise it abit.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

#1 - I hope we never find out. #2 - I hope we never find out . . #99 - I hope we never find out.

#100 The US agricultural areas have undergone drastic socio-economic/cultural changes over the last generation, and these changes continue to accelerate. The small family farms are all but gone, and the larger/mega-corporate farms are heavily dependent of government programs/subsidizes. Internal migration from rural to the urban areas is at least as rapid in the red states as the blue states. "Political Correctness" is as rampant in the red state schools as the blue states. The red/agricultural states do not appear to have had any more success in limiting government [growth] than the red states, for example term limits and/or TaBor. In short, while your observations may well have been correct about our grandfathers, and even our fathers, that was then and this is now.

Red States -- legends in their own mind....

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

The above has something to do with it.

Yep, but who gets screwed, people like me that has not owed anything to anybody for 25 years now. (well except for the Dallas business & BPP taxes) for stuff that's been paid for 25 years. Interest rates on savings & CD's have crashed. I guess I should have taken out a big loan that I couldn't pay & the gimmyMent would bail me out with my tax money cause I was stupid, but they use my tax money & bail out stupid people & the Bear S big corps..

In my next life I think I will be a dope dealer instead of a machine shop owner. No tools , machines to buy, no BPP taxes, cash payment..

Sad what this has come to...

Reply to
Why

The WH. It's the Presidents Council on Economic Affairs or something like that.

There isn't really much doubt about a couple of things.

1) Inflation is taking off. 2) We are only putting off the inevitable for a short time.

Not really at issue. Interest rates, at some point in the future will have to go up. A lot. Someone is also going to have to put a floor under the dollar and then provide appropriate support for it. Repeating the mistakes of the past and expecting different results is the very definition of insanity. The difference now isn't globalization. It's the modification or elimination of Usury laws that happened between '79 and '84. The credit markets would be in much better, perhaps even excellent, condition right now had that easing been gradually removed when Greenspan began his rate cutting spree in 2001.

Credit card issuers and Banks will tell you that deregulating fee caps and raising interest rate caps to the point that they legalize usury has allowed tens of millions of Americans to enjoy the benefits of plastic money. They say this as though there is some intrinsic benefit to society. They also do not point out that their long term downside has been significantly altered by changes to the bankruptcy code over the last decade.

All of this combined can equally well be stated as follows:

"We, The Issuers of Credit of the United States of America, hereby Grant and Gaurantee that with the cooperation of the government, we'll chase you all the way to the Grave for your unpaid debt."

America now has a class of financially indentured servant that is powerless to change their condition in any meaningful way. Deliberately.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

You left out: A short life expectancy, crazed drug users killing you, and no retirement plan.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell