still work out there - MN

You must have different history books than I have here George The US has teamed up with the Japanese, Chinese and Europeans many times in the last 40 years to prop up the dollar. In fact, my just having written "prop up the dollar" ought to ring a bell.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Everyone but the select few that rake the pot.

Jesus H Christ, wasn't one enough for ya'. LOL

Reply to
John R. Carroll

============ History clearly shows this has never happened. Apparently governments can no more avoid debasing their currency than people can avoid getting old, so its not a moral/ethical thing. This was occurring long before the introduction of paper currency.

results have always been the same.

There are currently no US treasury dollars in circulation, rather only Federal Reserve [a private corporation] certificates [check your bill fold to verify] with no backing, i.e. a totally fiat currency. This is how the constitutional mandate for at least gold/silver *BACKED* governmental currency [Article I §10] is evaded.

The only "people" that could possibly even attempt this is the US government, and as Ron Paul is not going to be elected president, the gold dollar will not be (re)introduced. Given the convoluted, baroque, and arcane nature of the current US economic/financial environment, a new stable currency may well be the "kiss of death."

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

I guess I didn't make myself clear. The revisions to the various laws protect ONLY the lender and are completely at the expense of the borrower.

I couldn't agree more George.

Never say never. Some cataclysmic series of events could change things quickly. Hell, just look at Iraq.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

No. You have data that shows US Dollars devaluing over time but not with respect to the other major currencies of the world. Great efforts have been made to create relative stability between those currencies. That policy wasn't abandoned untill the Bush administration took office and they embraced their new policy quietly, but gleefully none the less.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

=========== Globalization with its massive capital transfers from China, Japan, and the oil states, is what allowed the bubbles to expand to their current grotesque extent. Without these huge amounts of external capital the bubbles would have been choked off years ago by their own excesses.

You provide insight into the role that the elimination of the usury laws had and are having in this debacle. However it is a common error to assume that these laws somehow protect *ONLY* the borrower. In many cases the protections are much greater to the lenders and lending institutions, and society at large, as it is both an adage and a well-verified fact that "you can't get blood out of a turnip," and people living in "hoovervilles" don't pay but rather consume taxes.

In the ages past when usury laws existed, bubbles, booms and inflation were all checked by the interest caps, without the need for government intervention. As these acted like fuses to prevent "overloads" before serious damage could be inflicted on the basic economy, their removal was the equivalent of putting pennies behind the fuses because they keep blowing, with the foreseeable results that fires will occur when the wiring overheats or that the entire circuit will be lost when the wiring burns out, even without a fire. The only question is when will the entire house burn down. We are about to find out if today is the day.

Equally damaging are the excessively low rates for domestic US savers, which are negative in many cases when the effects of inflation and taxes are considered.

The conclusion is clear and easy to understand. Reimpose the usury laws, and mandate a minimum payment on bank savings of at least inflation + tax effect. If the banks balk, then "Postal Savings" can be re-introduced. The problem is that none of this will ever happen.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Indeed, but I have the data which trumps the history books.

Tinkering around the edges to reduce the rate of inflation to match that of your neighbors is not the same as eliminating inflation and a long-term stable currency.

Check the US CPI over the last 40 years (and all the way back to

1913). Note that the CPI has been "revised" several times through "hedonic" adjustment, substitution of generic for name brand products, etc. Uniformly the results of these "revisions" has been to lower the amount/rate of change (or alternatively loss in the "value" of the dollar).
one dollar in Feb 1978 is equivilant to $2.57 in 2008 ond dollar in 2008 is equivilant to $0.31 in 1978 click on
for their calculator.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

LOL You didn't say independant in your original statement. Does that really exist?

I was just encouraged that goober had actually enlister a competent group and genuinely solicited their advice and then followed their recomendations. I think it's a first for this President. They even called in Bob Reuben!

Reply to
John R. Carroll

============ At best and at most this is true only in the very shortest term.

If the usury laws [e.g. 6% cap] had been in place, the sub-prime, alt-a and NINA [no income, no assets] (aka liar loans) mortgages would never have been created and Bear Stearns would still be with us. This is one of life's ironies, and a plot twist O'Henry would have been proud to use in one of his short stories.

Usury laws protect lenders in exactly the same way speed limits protect the lead-foot driver, i.e. by limiting behavior likely to result in their serious injury or death (whether they like it or not). They also have the beneficial effect of protecting society and innocent bystanders from loss/injury.

"But I want to drink the Kool-Aid" (and I want you to drink it too) is no excuse or rationale....

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Thats not an independent blue ribbon panel of the best available experts for an independent "zero based -- no prior assumptions" study, thats the back-up singers for the current rock star in the White House.

I see far more, far better, far more insightful, and far better documented commentary in AMC and RCM that I have seen from the Council of Economic Advisors.

downloads and worth every cent)

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

============== I wish you were correct.

Unfortunately I grew up in the SE corner of Kansas (aka Little Bohemia), and I am now retired here. A considerable portion of my working life was spent [by choice] in smaller towns in red states in manufacturing management and tech support. My last 5 years before retiring was spent in the Texas panhandle.

To be sure the "table talk" at the "daylight donut shop" supports your position, but these are all old farts (like you and me), hence my reference to the "grandfathers and fathers".

The old adage "red state is as red state does," indicates that red states are no more capable of/willing to solve their considerable and increasing socio-economic/financial problems by limiting expenditures and/or increasing revenues than the blue states, nor are they any more likely (or willing) to undertake any decisive or direct action.

A major contributing factor is the gross and accelerating urbanization of the agricultural/red states. In Kansas the Kansas City -Topeka "strip" continues to grow like a cancer, even as the rural communities dwindle and die.

{living outside the money economy}

It increasingly is apparent that a state is red or blue only as an accident of history, and has no relationship to their organization/governance other than which branch of the mob runs things most of the time.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

George, You and I have been witnesses to the greatest hijacking of all time. I can't think, or find evidence, of one that has ever come to a good end and on that basis I can only say that it's my considered opinion that this one won't either. My conclusion is based in part on my evaluation of the numbers but is more heavily influenced by what I've learned over the years, and as an amateur, in the field of cultural anthropology.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

========== You appear to be 100% correct.

The world-wide loss/contraction of capital is catastrophic, but the loss of trust, basic to the functioning of not only the global financial system but society/culture in general, is even higher.

While I can calculate the numbers using a spreadsheet program, these have no more internalized meaning to me that the physics of a black hole. The thefts and losses are simply too large to comprehend.

One good thing about this is that the grift blew before the "wise guys" were able to get their hands on the social security trust funds and are having to satisfy themselves with "only" the employees' defined-benefit pensions and 401ks. Social Security may still tank, if the dollar goes, but at least not directly into their pockets.

Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden eggs...

Capital seems to be a world wide problem, even in countries relying on gold rather than promises and paper.

FWIW -- Russia is moving to a gold ruble
Speaking of gold, when was the last time an inventory was taken at Ft. Knox?

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Please do not move. Stay right where you are. the thought police will be with you momentarily...

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Lucky him Surfcam is way better. If he knows Mcam well it won't take long to come up to speed.

ca

Karl Townsend wrote:

Reply to
clay

Ayup..sure is.

On the other hand....its a way of life in the blue states.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Maybe 3 generations under 1 roof? As in,oh I dunno,Mexico?

wws

Reply to
wstiefer

Unka, cut to the real chase. My place has been paid for for 25 years, just who is the city/state going to come after when they lose the never ending up value taxes of the now foreclosed homes?

Yep, bend over me!

Wonder UnKa do the banks pay the city taxes on these foreclosed homes or do they get a free ride?

Reply to
Why

=========== that was then

is now
?gpp=780&pst=659789google on for 12k hits as of

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Federal regs of several years ago disallowed convicted drug felons from getting food stamps. Then they changed it so that if the conviction was for simple possession and the person signed a sworn statement saying they aren't doing drugs anymore (yeah, right) they can get the food stamps. This last part may be just California. I'm not sure. No one that I know of actually gets "stamps" anymore. All the food benefits are issued on an EBT card in all of the US. But, they manage to sell the cards just like they did the "stamps". I had one client who sold her empty card to someone who took such umbrage with this that he turned her in. Came right into our office with the card. The client came into the office every month to get a new card with some pretty wild stories about what happened to the one she no longer had. Our DAs office didn't give a damn what she did with them. In California the convicted drug felons are disallowed from getting cash aid and any cash case they may be on is money managed. IOW we pay their rent and utilities and, if there's anything left, the client gets the remainder. Sue

Reply to
Sue