model jet engines

Hi all, Does anyone have experience building model jet engines? If so, where is the best place to start? I know this is a broad question, but maybe some experienced insight will get me off the starting blocks.

-KB

Reply to
Kevin

On 19 Jan 2006 04:49:52 -0800, "Kevin" wrote in :

Not me.

Here is a blog about a man building his own:

2/3rds of the way through the page, he gives two books about home-built turbines. The name of the guy who kicked it all off is Schreckling, I think, so you might google Shreckling turbine.

Let us know how it all turns out!

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

You also might want to consider

as another place to start....

As Marty said, let us know how it goes...

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Kevine,

Lots of RC jet related links here:

(in English and Dutch)

Or the gas turbine subforum at:

Or the Jet Engines and Ram Jets subforum at

Vriendelijke groeten ;-) Ron van Sommeren

14th. int. electric fly-in, Nijmegen, Netherlands, June 25
Ron van Sommeren

As a tool & die maker the idea intrigued me. After recently researching the subject - I have come to the conclusion that it would be difficult for a home hobbiest. The electronics that they use would also be difficult to make. I did hear that someone was supposed to market a kit.

Reply to
zara

The electronics is not that complicated, I think there are some home built circuits floating around. The first hobby turbines did not use any electronics, used the venturi effect to meter fuel.

There are some links on converting turbo chargers into jet engines. Too heavy for models but some one used several converted turbo chargers from a simi diesel to power a Honda Civic.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

Wren still makes a bolt together kit and would probably sell you a semi machined kit

Regards

Tom Watson Sydney Australia

Reply to
news

The Wren kit engine is a great way to go. If you're in the USA, you can get one from Larry Wolfe.

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

I have a ram-jet from the 60s that needs nothing but a blast of air and a voltage high enough to jump the spark plug's gap.

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

You'll find that the turbine is a tad quieter, runs more consistently and generally is engineered not to have a total melt-down if you make a mistake.

Downside is the technical and legalistic duties that come with it. (as opposed to repalcing the butterfly valve and bicycle pump....)

Reply to
byrocat

Don are you talking a ram jet or pulse jet. None of the things sold as ram jets in the 60s actually worked (at least not without getting them up to about 200 mph first). There were and are pulse jet engines (like on the V-1) that worked well but are not flown much now because they are very loud. Bob

Reply to
icerinkdad

Don is probably referring to the Dyna-Jet.

Bill(oc)

Reply to
Bill Sheppard

That's the one.

Is there anyone in the Portland/Vancouver area in need of one? It just doesn't fit in with my small electric planes.

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

I bet you could get a pretty good price for it on e-Bay.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

How many Yankee dollars do you want for it, Don?

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

Kinda the antithesis of "silent flight", eh?

Apparently a few folks have built RC jets with those -- must be an exciting flight!

Reply to
Tim Wescott

From Don:

!! Heh. At full song, that sucka is bad-assed honkin' LOUD...

Bill(oc)

Reply to
Bill Sheppard

Don, contact Bruce Tharpe

Email snipped-for-privacy@btemodels.com. Bruce has a fetish for pulse jets...

I bet he'll take it off your hands...

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

ROFLOL!! AIN'T THAT the truth! EEEEEHHHHHHAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa..............

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High