Barrel Honing

I am currently building an IC engine, the barrel is 24mm bore by 50mm long. I need to finish the bore (currently bored and not a brilliant
finish as I should have put in a new tip!!!) I am considering purchasing a "Laser" 2243 Brake Cylinder Hone as shown on this page. <http://www.toolsheduk.com/S/2/28/5/Vehicle-Repairs-and-Servicing.html
Does anyone have any experience of this unit? Alternatively...
I do have a few diamond impregnated honing sticks (I believe they were made by Van Moppes) 100mm long x 3mm thick x 8mm deep however I would need to make a holder and not sure of the best design.
Richard

never seen one of those before .
but the next hones i will buy will be of this design
http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/2486.gif
this is the sort i see used in most engine recon shops ..and they swear by them .
all the best.markj

They look very similar to the ones I bought from Bruce Engineering many years ago. Those worked very well on the couple of occasions I have used them.
David
--
David Littlewood

I also bought a set from Bruce eng. that look the same, worked a treat on a hit & miss engine that I made with a CI cylinder.
Jason
--
jasonballamy
On or around Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:42:11 +0100, Richard Edwards

Looks a lot like the Sealey one except that comes in a kit with other sizes of holder and stones.
It's OK for occasional use, and I daresay it'll do what you want, although you need to be careful about bore diameter, I imagine.
On or around Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:42:11 +0100, Richard Edwards

BTW, don't run it anticlockwise, it unscrews and bits go all over the workshop :-(

I had the same problem - but boring very slowly with a sharp HSS tool produced a really good finish. My engine (Nemett 15S) was 25mm bore in a cast iron liner.
The other problem I had was I could not get the valves to seal and tried all ways to get a good seal. In the end I put the thing together, wound it up and after it fired a couple of times the compression improved, then it started and the valves sealed...
On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:42:11 +0100, Richard Edwards

Thanks for all of the replies on this query.
In the end I took it to the back street shop that reground the crank on my TR3A over 40 years ago. Barrel now honed for 5 <G>
Richard