looking for special washers

Motorcycle wheels - rims are drilled at angles to fit specific hub dimensions. If you get a used rim and it is not matched to your existing
hub, lacing it results in a nipple that does not line up with the spoke. It's sometimes possible to re-drill the holes at the correct angle and use larger nipples, but that takes maths, new parts, and no mistakes. I'm hoping for a simpler solution.
The nipple seats are in dimples. A curved washer inserted between the nipple head and the seat would allow some change of alignment - problem fixed.
I could make a simple press and get some flat washers and make 'em, but there are quite a few wheels in my garage to be laced, and there probably would be a small but steady market for such washers.
I've googled under "spherical washer", "motorcycle nipple washer", "seating washer" and a number of other terms, but nothing that looks right shows up. What I need is a normal flat washer that has been bent into a curve; a couple of hundred of them, actually.

These are conical: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belleville_washer

The Belleville washers are designed to compress flat under load, so it might work or not depending on the load - it's really a flat washer pressed into a cone, but I think you really need a cone. Faced that problem, but there are lots of rims made to fit dinosaur bikes... joel in FL 67 FLH
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 04:54:38 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I know about bellville washers - but don't think they would do; it needs a spherical shape, not a cone.

A bit like this but smaller: http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section11/din6319c /
"spherical seat washer"
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 20:04:34 +0800, Nutz wrote:

Yup; I found those - they won't work.
It needs to have a curve on both sides - the nipple head has a curve, as does the seat.
_ wrote:

could you not use two, face to face?
On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 14:22:10 +0100, bigegg wrote:

I suppose I could turn them around so they are flat-to-flat, but there's still a problem - it does not look as though the width is enough to be a load-bearing surface for a nipple in what is essentially a loose hole, and the additional length might be a problem as the spokes are only so long.

I do not have an answer to your specific problem, but I was wondering if the increased height of the spoke inside the rim might contribute to faster tube wear. I know the rubber band is supposed to protect the tube, but with most rims with intended spokes and hubs the rubber band levels out the surface to just mild rises. With a spacer under the end of the spoke wouldn't you be concerned about the actual bumps that would now exist?
I am not a motorcycle mechanic. Just somebody who has owned a dozen or so of them over the years.
Bob La Londe www.YumaBassMan.com
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 07:04:29 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

Yes, that would be an issue if the bump was too high.
Nipples & spokes can (and are often) be ground/filed after trueing.
I expect that if I get the jind of washer I'm looking for, it will be thin enough that this won't be an issue.

Hi Guys, Only crap wheelbuilders grind spokes and nipples after assembly, proper builders use the correct lenght spoke in the first place. This is one of the reasons why you paid more for a (proper) BMW than you paid for a Triumph or BSA, they paid attention to details and could measure things! I know Honda fit the correct lenght spokes, but who wants a Honda?:>) As someone who has fitted tens of thousands of tyres to bike wheels, by hand not machine, I can say you do not want to have the nipple any higher than the well in the rim. Any clearance lost will make tyre fitting a bit of a pain. T.W.
Nutz wrote:

Thed be easy for me to make. Saying just a bit smaller is somewhat vague. I would need hole size, outside dia abd thickness you want. then ill quote you ex my workshop. Ive domed hundreds of buttons that I mint so doming some washers would be easy. If you cant get any sense in the US ill make them for you in the UK.
Spherical cutters aren't expensive: http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2903
The photo shows 2 flute ball end mills which I think would be more difficult to control than 4 flute ones in a hand drill.
Jim Wilkins
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 04:22:39 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins

Bellville washers, also known as Schnorr springs are just that - springs. I used to use spherical seat washers at work that were a male/female pair with a part spherical face. You'd want to use just the male half, but I expect need to buy them as pairs. Not sure where they came from, but it was possibly WDS, ask in an engineering fasteners or maybe bearing supplies.
Richard

If you can't buy conical spoke nipples, perhaps you should shop for an idle CNC.

When you find them, they will be right next to the nail clipper I have been searching for over the past 15 years... You know, the one where the blate tips curve outward instead of straight across or inward...
How many do you need? I have a source that can make 'em...
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills: http://www.AutoDrill.com Multiple Spindle Drills: http://www.Multi-Drill.com Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
V8013-R

Rite-aid, was so cheesed off when I saw the blades curved out and not in...
Dave

Seriously? If you pick up a pair, I'll pay to UPS them to me and pay you for them plus a finders fee!
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

These look to have a slight outward curve
http://www.riteaidonlinestore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=14305&catid=33972&trx=PLST-0-CAT&trxp1=33972&trxp2=14305&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-CAT
The online store shows the ones I bought (store brand), but shows an inward curve, I'll have to eyeball a pair my next time there...
Dave

Indeed they may... I'd settle for that but would lvoe something with a much more pronounced curve... In a perfect world, a half-circle would be what I'm seeking.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

Site Timeline