looking for special washers

Motorcycle wheels - rims are drilled at angles to fit specific hub dimensions. If you get a used rim and it is not matched to your existing hub, lacing it results in a nipple that does not line up with the spoke. It's sometimes possible to re-drill the holes at the correct angle and use larger nipples, but that takes maths, new parts, and no mistakes. I'm hoping for a simpler solution.

The nipple seats are in dimples. A curved washer inserted between the nipple head and the seat would allow some change of alignment - problem fixed.

I could make a simple press and get some flat washers and make 'em, but there are quite a few wheels in my garage to be laced, and there probably would be a small but steady market for such washers.

I've googled under "spherical washer", "motorcycle nipple washer", "seating washer" and a number of other terms, but nothing that looks right shows up. What I need is a normal flat washer that has been bent into a curve; a couple of hundred of them, actually.

Reply to
_

These are conical:

Jim Wilkins

The Belleville washers are designed to compress flat under load, so it might work or not depending on the load - it's really a flat washer pressed into a cone, but I think you really need a cone. Faced that problem, but there are lots of rims made to fit dinosaur bikes... joel in FL 67 FLH

Reply to
joelblatt

I know about bellville washers - but don't think they would do; it needs a spherical shape, not a cone.

Reply to
_

A bit like this but smaller:

"spherical seat washer"

Reply to
Nutz

Yup; I found those - they won't work.

It needs to have a curve on both sides - the nipple head has a curve, as does the seat.

Reply to
_

If you can't buy conical spoke nipples, perhaps you should shop for an idle CNC.

Reply to
Tim

could you not use two, face to face?

Reply to
bigegg

I suppose I could turn them around so they are flat-to-flat, but there's still a problem - it does not look as though the width is enough to be a load-bearing surface for a nipple in what is essentially a loose hole, and the additional length might be a problem as the spokes are only so long.

Reply to
_

I do not have an answer to your specific problem, but I was wondering if the increased height of the spoke inside the rim might contribute to faster tube wear. I know the rubber band is supposed to protect the tube, but with most rims with intended spokes and hubs the rubber band levels out the surface to just mild rises. With a spacer under the end of the spoke wouldn't you be concerned about the actual bumps that would now exist?

I am not a motorcycle mechanic. Just somebody who has owned a dozen or so of them over the years.

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe

When you find them, they will be right next to the nail clipper I have been searching for over the past 15 years... You know, the one where the blate tips curve outward instead of straight across or inward...

How many do you need? I have a source that can make 'em...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Spherical cutters aren't expensive:

The photo shows 2 flute ball end mills which I think would be more difficult to control than 4 flute ones in a hand drill.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Thed be easy for me to make. Saying just a bit smaller is somewhat vague. I would need hole size, outside dia abd thickness you want. then ill quote you ex my workshop. Ive domed hundreds of buttons that I mint so doming some washers would be easy. If you cant get any sense in the US ill make them for you in the UK.

Reply to
Ted Frater

Yes, that would be an issue if the bump was too high.

Nipples & spokes can (and are often) be ground/filed after trueing.

I expect that if I get the jind of washer I'm looking for, it will be thin enough that this won't be an issue.

Reply to
_

Rite-aid, was so cheesed off when I saw the blades curved out and not in...

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Seriously? If you pick up a pair, I'll pay to UPS them to me and pay you for them plus a finders fee!

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

These look to have a slight outward curve

The online store shows the ones I bought (store brand), but shows an inward curve, I'll have to eyeball a pair my next time there...

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Indeed they may... I'd settle for that but would lvoe something with a much more pronounced curve... In a perfect world, a half-circle would be what I'm seeking.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Might be a bit oversize...

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Likely so, however I suspect Joe needs them for something *other* than fingernails.

By strange coincidence I happen to live near Georgia Farrier Supply and was going to offer to swing by and take measurements... Until I noticed the price! Better sit down and swallow whatever you happen to be drinking before clicking on the links above.

Reply to
William Bagwell