Beadbreaking again

I tried everythign this weekend to break the bead of that 15 inch trailer tire. I put my floor jack on one end and jackt it up, did about everything.

Would it be possible to make something like this with angle iron to use with my small floor jack:

Is there another way I can do this in the future on my small farm?

Reply to
stryped

You mention you are on a farm, do you have a loader on your tractor? If so just use the bucket. Place the edge of the bucket right at the rim and push down, then turn the wheel over and bust the other side the same way.

WayneJ

Reply to
WayneJ

:

Unfortunatley no loader. Just a very old 8n tractor.

Reply to
stryped

Make your self something like these. Or buy one.

Up North

maybe?

wws

I tried something like this to no avail

Reply to
stryped

Would I do dammage by driving over it with the rear tires of my tractor?

Reply to
stryped

Keep your eyes open for an old manual tire changer at a farm auction or wherever.

Reply to
clare

I have one of these that serve me well back in my racing days.

JC Whitney has a deluxe model much like the one suggested in another post at Harbor Freight, and Northern Tool has one that looks pretty interesting as well.

Harbor freight used to sell a manual tire machine that works pretty well also. Used a similar one regularly in my high school days working at a local filling station.

All that said, as much as I like my bead breaker, it's worth the drive and a

5 or 10 spot to me to let someone else fool with it.
Reply to
Elliot G

"stryped" wrote: Would I do dammage by driving over it with the rear tires of my tractor? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Probably not, but it probably won't work any better than what you have already tried. If your tractor has large rubber tires with a round cross section, the pressure will be too far from the rim. If you put a 2 x6 between a concrete block and your tire, and then drive over it with your tractor, it might work. You might do better straddling the wheel with your tractor, and then putting a jack between the rear end and the tire. Lift under the heaviest part of your tractor, wherever that is.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

There is a slide hammer rig I have seen used on truck tires.

Reply to
I R AN IDIOT

Like this?

Bob La Londe

Or this one for half the price... yeah.

I R AN IDIOT

Both of those prices are insane. If that's the way you go, make your own.

Reply to
Elliot G

It might work - Motorbike rims are not safety rims, which take a LOT more force to break. As for using PT 2X4, it will not help as they are, if anything, less strong. A good hardwood 2X4 from a sheet metal pallet might work - but I'd be REAL carefull!!!! That thing is liable to slip, snap, or otherwise malfunction at just the wrong time!!

Reply to
clare

Done it many times - just be carefull you don't slice the sidewall of the tractor tire on the rim when it lets go - 8N rear tires are a WHOLE LOT more work to change!!!

Reply to
clare

AMEN brother!!

Reply to
clare

Yup - like that. I've used them too. But if it's not an emergency, you are still farther ahead to just take it to a shop and have the bead broken and the tube inserted.

Reply to
clare

For a hundred bucks you can pay to have a lot of tires dismounted. Not worth it if you are only going to do 1 or 2 a year.

Reply to
clare

stryped wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

The rubber part - no. The metal part - yes.

A most basic question for you: did you remember to totally deflate the tire

-before- attempting to dismount it?

Reply to
RAM³