looking for special washers

Hi Guys, Only crap wheelbuilders grind spokes and nipples after assembly, proper builders use the correct lenght spoke in the first place. This is one of the reasons why you paid more for a (proper) BMW than you paid for a Triumph or BSA, they paid attention to details and could measure things! I know Honda fit the correct lenght spokes, but who wants a Honda?:>) As someone who has fitted tens of thousands of tyres to bike wheels, by hand not machine, I can say you do not want to have the nipple any higher than the well in the rim. Any clearance lost will make tyre fitting a bit of a pain. T.W.

Reply to
the wizard

Bellville washers, also known as Schnorr springs are just that - springs. I used to use spherical seat washers at work that were a male/female pair with a part spherical face. You'd want to use just the male half, but I expect need to buy them as pairs. Not sure where they came from, but it was possibly WDS, ask in an engineering fasteners or maybe bearing supplies.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Shute

Yep. Too large. :(

Yep. I want to remove moles from my family for a fee.

I'd pay for a good quality, properly sized tool.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

OK, now I'm dyin' to know what it's for...

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

_ was thinking very hard :

I needed a mismatched hub and rim once. I had these guys make the spokes to fit.

Doesn't answer your DIY question, but at least it's an option.

Wayne D.

Reply to
Wayne

If you find me one, I'll tell you. :)

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

The only "simpler solution" I see would be a spherical cutter (to make the dimple into a sphere of some standard radius) in conjunction with a spherical-head nipple. The spherical cutter (just a custom-ground drill) is relatively easy, and some machine shops with NC lathes could turn the special nipples out easily enough.

I suspect the washer solution would leave you with a nipple that has high stress (and fractures) or with a nipple that finds the center of the dimple with its head, and the center of the hole with its shaft, and STILL points wrong.

The aimed-drill idea doesn't always take math, you might be able to put a laser pointer in the drill press chuck, and align a rim-clamp jig using that.

Reply to
whit3rd