Seeking source for shim/spring washers

I am seeking a source for washers with the following specs.

Flat - not Belleville, cupped, curved, etc.

Stainless Steel or blue spring steel

I.D.: Both 3/8" and 1/2"

O.D.: Would like the following O.D. dimensions with both the 3/8" and 1/2" I.D..... .750", .900", 1.050", 1.200", 1.350" (O.D dimensions not absolutely critical but should be somewhere near.)

Thickness: ranging from .002" to .025" in each size.

Google searches have only resulted in Belleville-type spring washers. I need flat washers with which to build shim stacks.

I can buy each one of these washers through the dealer at $1 - to - $2 each!

I would like to find a source where I can buy boxes of 25, 50, or 100 for a few cents per washer.

I am open to any creative alternatives........

Reply to
*

If you are just going to build "shim stacks", then I wouldn't think you'd need stainless steel or "blue spring steel". I have gotten flat washers in various thicknesses from MSC over the years. See page 1981 of their current "big book". They have them in 18-8 SS, and 316 SS, in addition to alumimum, copper and brass.

You can call them at 1-800-645-7270 mscdirect.com

Pete Stanaitis

  • wrote:

Reply to
spaco

But I doubt you'll beat the dealer price at quantities of 100 each. A few cents per piece seems unlikely at any reasonable quantity.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I've already been quoted by Boker's.

Quantities of 100 are around $2 each while moving to 250, the price drops to about $1 each.

Everything is custom-made.....Nothing in stock.

I appreciate your input...

Reply to
*

spaco wrote in article ...

They are called "shin stacks", but they are actually flexible disc valve packs, and the MUST have spring qualities.

I have a MSC catalog and they have nothing that comes close to my needs.

I appreciate your input......

Reply to
*

I have a suggestion. You can buy laminated sheet .035" thick Each lamination is about .002" thick in stainless. The sheets come in panels about 3' x 6'. This material is peelable shim stock. I would make up a set of punch dies for every washer size you need. I suppose you could buy the punches as well, perhaps others would know where. Simply punch out as many as you need. This material is very easy to use, just use a pocket knife to start a peel and then with pliers or your fingers, just lift the layer off until you have the right thickness. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

This might not meet your needs exactly, but is worth checking out.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

This might not meet your needs exactly, but is worth checking out.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

When I needed such, I got SS shim stock and used ferric chloride etching to cut 'em from sheet. There are lots of electrochemical machining outfits that can fit you up with this kind of item, or a little scrounging and some glassblowing can get you an etchant tank and air bubbler agitator and you can roll your own.

Kodak photoresist and UV lamps are also required (used to be standard items for printed circuit etching).

My shim stock was a tad curled, hope that isn't a big issue.

Reply to
whit3rd

Steve Lusardi wrote in article ...

I've wondered about using shim stock.

Only problem is that the shim punches I see in the catalogs such as Enco only go up to 3/4"

I have several Greenlee chassis punches up to two inches, and I am wondering if they would cut .025 stainless.

While I am stacking these shims, they must be free to flex and deflect. A laminated shim would not work, but if the Greenlee punches would work, that might be my option.

Thanks!

Reply to
*

Pete Snell wrote in article ...

Actually, Pete, that's exactly what I am looking for but in .002" increments and the various O.D. that I listed.

These will be used in race car shocks that I build.

Even in 10-packs, however, these run between $1.50 and $3.00 per shim, and I'll need to stock approximately 35-40 different shims.

Each shock takes 10-15 shims, and I'm trying to keep the costs down for my customers - even with the markups.

Thanks for pointing these out to me. I plan on contacting that company.

Reply to
*

Try

Chuck P.