Bearing supplier help

I thought =A330 for a 5/8" ID ball race was expensive until I read the earlier thread - but it seems a lot to me for a tiddler (its an entire weeks beer money !).

Its a 5/8" ID, 1 9/16" OD ball race in the gearbox of my Meddings. Its marked "KSM RLS5 Japan". Anyone have any ideas on where to get an equivalent (especially locally near Chester) ? I've looked on the web and found too much !

Ta, Steve R

Reply to
Steve

I have used Midland Bearings in the past -

Good service and reasonable prices (for what I wanted) in my dealings with them.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

A quick google for RLS5 ZZ or RLS5 2RS brings up prices fairly similar to the one you already have, except for this one at Draganfly Motorcycles where it is listed under the Ariel & BSA spares catalogue. PDF page here:

It's near the top of the 3rd column on page 36. I didn't look through them all, the Acrobat search function found it:) RLS5 is listed at =A34.02 and RLS5ZZ at =A34.98.

You could try BSL Brammer or WYKO but I suspect their prices may be similar to the one you have too. Must be worth a phone call though.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Arceuro £4.50

Dave H

Reply to
Dave Houghton

£34.64 list less 75% at our local place, plus VAT.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Strange I know but bearings are normally discounted 70-80% to trade. Seems your stockist is trying to get list price ;) Often it's about the way you approach them!

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

I've always found our local Wyko (Fenners before that) much better on pricing and more approachable than the local BSL, but whether that's company policies or local individuals I don't know. I now don't go near BSL unless I'm desperate.

It's the routine high level discounting that I was getting at in my post, it makes 'list price' pretty meaningless.

Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

The reason I called it a strange practice. But some will try to charge list.

Same thing can happen at builders yards, My neighbour once got his wife to phone the local travis Perkins for a quote on a fair bit of Insulation material. He already knew what I had paid. The quote they got back was 3 times what I paid!

I then rang on their behalf and got the price I had previously paid, It was not that they even knew me, I just knew what I wanted and what they were expecting to hear ;)

In industry it's just so common. Most prices are negotiable. Bit like double glazing sales I guess....

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

I can assure you I approached them in the most polite and humble way in this case. After all its 42 years old, I thought I was pushing my luck. They showed 2 in stock and were surprised to find they had 5, however no sign of flexibility on the price. Medding seem to have a reputation for good after sales support but a high price for parts, so my experience is in-line. However their drills are really nicely engineered, and probably worth every penny, but the bearings are not made by Meddings...

I'm really pleased with all the replies. Plenty to sort out and nearer =A35 than =A330 is much more like it. Thanks everyone.

Steve R

Reply to
Steve

I've used Arc for bearings at home and work for a while now, and always had excelent service and great prices.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

One thing to note with Arc's pricing is that it always contains the VAT. I dare say most of the other quotes are plus VAT. .

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I routinely avoid BSL as they screwed me as a poor student 30 years ago by charging list and not budging even when it was obvious I was on foot, blathered in grease and had no "extra" money on me. That one surly tight assed counter bod with an attitude problem that meant I had to walk back across town to get some more money and then make a return trip has subsequently lost them tens of thousands in turnover ever since. Many years later with time on my hands and a score to settle I delighted in knocking them off the national contracts list of preferred suppliers at a major plc.

Discounting on electrical cable also reaches stratospheric levels. I recall 92.5% *discount* being "normal" in the mid 80's

Reply to
Mike

I actually looked in the printed ArcEuro catalogue I have this morning

- and didn't find the bearing, but that must be out of date or incomplete (I didn't think to look at their stuff on the web). As a model engineering supplier who attend the exhibitions and also do bearings at a really good price they are well worth having on your favourites list.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve

Having ordered the bearing from them (and a 2MT blank arbor 1.5inch diameter) I can add that their postage is also more than reasonable. Not far short of marvellous, and a nice website too.

Steve R

Reply to
Steve

Thanks guys.

I now have my bearing - 82% cheaper than the original price I was quoted. My low budget high quality pillar drill project is back on track, and my beer coupons are safe (until tonight). Thanks for the help :-)

Steve R

Reply to
Steve