brass

Good to know that there is at least one source of carbon rods for an RS Unit is still avalable. About 18 months ago I was able to get a couple of spares for my 12 year old London Road Models RS unit from a model show in St. Albans.
Doing a bit more googling has come up with the suggestion that suitable carbon rods are available from suppliers of welding equipment.
There's a recent thread about RS units here: http://www.lner.info/forums/re-wanted-resistance-soldering-unit-p27228.html including using an old car battery charger.
Alan
--
snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@riscos.org
Alan Dawes wrote:

I couldn't see any details of the carbon rods dimensions required but these guys used to be able to supply a list, .XLS actually, of graphite seconds http://www.graphitetrading.co.uk/ . If the grade required is important then enquiring would be required as the last time I looked at the list the grade was not specified and it wasn't possible to determine it from the details.
If approx 16mm diameter x 305mm long would do then I have some graphite rods spare.
At a welding supplier you may want to ask for carbon arc brazing electrodes.

Thanks for the info and offer, however the electrode holder of my London Road RSU uses 5.2mm diameter carbon rods - the rods I have should last me a couple more years but the next time I'm in Machine Mart I'll check the size of their carbon arc brazing electrodes. For smaller jobs, I sharpen them with a pencil sharpener.
Alan
--
snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@riscos.org

I just managed to track down this site reference for a supplier of 4 and 5mm electrodes - 1.50 per 12" rod:
http://www.eileensemporium.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id 8 &option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
I was racking my brains yesterday - knew I had seen it recently, but couldn't find it. Turned out the supplier did not list it under "soldering" but under "miscellaneous".
David
--
David Littlewood

http://www.eileensemporium.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id 8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1> I was racking my brains yesterday - knew I had seen it recently, but

Thanks once again the ones for my London Road RSU are listed there.
Alan