brass

I was beginning the follow-up [*] when I thought, maybe we are actually agreeing furiously?

It all started like this:

I wasn't trying to suggest that you should use a dry iron, that's plain silly - yes, you should wet the iron and use the solder on the iron as a heat transfer medium to get the parts hot.

What I was trying to say is that the solder which makes the joint should be applied to the joint, and *not* first to the iron.

That way the solder is cooler than the joint when applied, and it won't melt unless the joint is hot enough, and wet enough, to melt it. Which means it's almost impossible to get a dry joint.

[*] I may post it anyway, lots of lovely math and numbers :) - but that sort of thing takes a while to write

but as this is

Wow, is that indium/bismuth based? Usually I use lead (shhh!) or tin based, but I don't do delicate modelling. Though I used to make bespoke SMT soldering iron bits in the very early SMT days, including ones for soldering directly to chips (by hand), so I can do tiny :)

However you will want to heat the metal up to somewhere, say 30 degrees, above the solder's melting point in order to get good flow etc; call it maybe 200 degrees for the 179 degree stuff, which works out at about a 6 ounce iron for 1mm brass sheet.

Thermal resistance of the iron is supposed to be in the "is about equivalent to 4,000 joules at 50K iron tip differential" bit as above, though I agree it's not clear.

aye, like many things, that it is.

-- Peter F

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

OK, I think you may be right - though in practice there is often enough solder on the iron to make the joint anyway, and feeding more in would just add to the mess to clean up. I'm talking about small components here, or edge joins in 0.018 thou brass. With experience you can (usually) see whether the solder has wetted the brass, and if in doubt, a stress test usually finds out one way or the other.

BTW, the 1 cm^3 lump in your example is relatively massive compared with the thin brass etch stuff - I can't imagine soldering anything to that cube with my 50W TC iron, would probably use a gas burner.

Look forward to it.

I don't have an analysis, but these things usually have bismuth in them. It's a very good compromise: it wets brass far better than genuine low-melt solders (70 deg and 100 deg are readily available, the latter being a bit stronger) but doesn't require furious heating. With care, it can even be used on white metal if the latter is not too low in MP. It is marketed by Carr's in 0.5 kg reels, or by other model suppliers in smaller amounts at considerably higher unit cost... Let me know if you would like to try some.

Heavy engineering!

OK, didn't spot that.

I generally try to avoid using a conventional soldering technique on etched brass - solder cream, RSU or sweating are all preferred according to circumstances as they all leave less cleaning up to do. The conventional "run hot iron + solder along seam" approach is still useful for large butt joints, and you can usually do those from inside where it doesn't show. (Actually, experts still use an RSU for that, but I haven't quite got to that level of proficiency yet.)

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Thanks for the info and offer, however the electrode holder of my London Road RSU uses 5.2mm diameter carbon rods - the rods I have should last me a couple more years but the next time I'm in Machine Mart I'll check the size of their carbon arc brazing electrodes. For smaller jobs, I sharpen them with a pencil sharpener.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

In article , Alan Dawes writes

I just managed to track down this site reference for a supplier of 4 and

5mm electrodes - £1.50 per 12" rod:

I was racking my brains yesterday - knew I had seen it recently, but couldn't find it. Turned out the supplier did not list it under "soldering" but under "miscellaneous".

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

>> > including using an old car battery charger.

Thanks once again the ones for my London Road RSU are listed there.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes