CAD/CAM and CNC software

So I have braved the icy waters of this subject with the intention of converting a small Mill/drill for my model engineering activity ..... more of a challenge than of a necessity it may be thought.

So what software in the CAD/CAM arena is a good starting point for a beginner to get from drawing to G code and what software is a good start for the controller to run under Windows?

Anything near the cost of an arm and a leg is out of the question ........ more like the amount in a charity envelope!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall

Try Mach2 (windows)

(linux)
(DOS)
This is a good site to ask questions

Do let us know your progress, I'm thinking about how to convert my lathe at the moment.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

there is a version of partmaster at a good price that is set up to output to mach2, check out:

I havent' ever used the cad/cam (spoilt by easy access to industrial software at work) but people who use it speak well of it, and Mach2 is pretty much head & shoulders above the competition.

Regards

Kev>So I have braved the icy waters of this subject with the intention of

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Reply to
Graham B

Reply to
Graham B

Reply to
Graham B

Also worth looking at is Master CNC on Colin Ushers website

I have found this to work very well and is updated frequently.There is also a good Model Engineer index and other useful info regards Graham

Reply to
Graham B

Reply to
Graham B