Band saws

After a weekend where I had to hack through a 4" chunk of Al by hand, I have now decided it's time to buy a band saw/powered hack saw to do the boring work for me!

I had a look around at the show on Sunday and saw a couple that looked liked they would do

?pf_id=33394&recno=2 Does anyone have one of these, if so what do you think of it. I'm looking for something that will make a fairly straight cut through 4.5" Al in a reasonable amount of time (

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:46:50 +0100, "Stephen Woolhead"

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Stephen

I bought one of the Warco 4 1/2" Universals about 3 years ago after a recommendation from a friend. Initial impression wasn't good, the stand is extremely flimsy and I couldn't get the blade to stay on. Having worked out that the blade was not tight enough and re-adjusted the blade guides the machine worked very well. Three years on and it is still working very well, I haven't bothered to strengthen the stand and although it doesn't cut "gunbarrel straight" it only wanders about 1/32" on a 3" bar - I expect it could be adjusted better but it is OK for me. I only cut steel up to 3 1/2 dia and the original blade didn't last very long; however, a better quality one seems to last me many months. The vice is not too special and needs some help to hold short lengths. It is one of the least cared for machines in my little workshop but continues to growl and rattle away in the corner saving me from a potential heart attack. To be honest I have been amazed how useful this little saw is and even after this relatively short period it doesn't owe me a penny and I will replace it instantly (with the same) if/when it finally gives up. I'm sure you could improve on some of the details if you have a good look at the alternatives but I think they are basically the same. The need for spanners to adjust everything is a bit of a nuisance but my choice was made on the worm drive system (I was told some wear out very quickly) and the availability of spares although I have not actually needed any.

Sorry I can't comment on your other suggestions but can recommend this one. No connection with Warco etc, just a content customer.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Reply to
Peter Neill

I was after one of these and also tried unsucessfully for a couple of similar Ajax items that came up for auction. I gave up when the bidding went past =A3150, but would have liked one for the extra capacity they offer.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

My dad's saw takes odd sized blades (well, shorter than the handful I aquired for him as a freebie). If you anneal the end longer blades can be cut to length and re-drilled quite easily. As it's just the very end you need to anneal it shouldn't give you any problem with cutting.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Reply to
Charles Ping

I think you can hold 5" round bar if my guesstimate is right...:-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Leave hard, cut to length with an angle grinder, pop a hole through with the edm machine - that's how my saw gets fed blades. In the absence of an edm m/c, locally soften a spot with a carbon rod on a welder then drill.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I have had one of these Warco band saws for some years now and it has given excellent service and the stand needs no extra support at all even though it seems a bit "tinny". I have used it to cut through short lengths of 7" MS bar as well as all the usual stuff.. Recent blades from Warco have not been as good as earlier ones so perhaps they have changed suppliers. As far as the distance of the blade from the vice is concerned it is easily overcome for smaller stock using one of these:

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall

Arc euro trade had a small power hacksaw on their stand today at the Midlands show. Might be of interest as an alternative to the bandsaws. Their website is

and click on Saws. Website shows out of stock, but they defintiely had one on the stand today! Looked relatively sturdy - certainly wouldn't compare very well to a Rapidor or similar though!

Cheers

Alastair

Reply to
Alastair

Do their replacement blades fit the Rapidor etc.? If so, no need for messing with shortening blades to fit.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

How often would you use it to do a job which takes less time to set up than hand-cutting? I take such jobs to a local shop and get them done for the price of a pint or two. The money stays in the bank and I can still move around in the shed :)

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

We are not machinery-orientated, but the Rapidor has well earned its keep, especially when it's late and you need something doing quickly. Yes, it takes up floor space, but looking at the 4" piece of fcms that Philip cut the other day, I don't think I'd want to do it by hand, or the 30 pieces of 1-1/4" Dural bar that we got in a hurry from RS and cut up that evening, turned into cabinet canopy spacers the next day and so on.

It's the same as having the Littlejohn lathe and bench pillar drill at the factory, we don't use them daily but wouldn't be without them when we REALLY need them.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Most of the time I plan ahead and get the people I buy the stock from to cut the bar to my needs. The times I end up doing it by hand tends to be evenings and weekends, also strangely when I'm in a hurry! The cost to me is well worth it even if I only use it a few times a month.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

Thank you all for your advice, much appreciated. Only question is are there any reason to choose a bandsaw over a powered hack saw or vice versa? I see that most companies only sell bandsaws these days. Just curious if either has any advantage over the other

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

Reply to
Lofty

A bandsaw is quicker as it cuts all the time, a powered hacksaw only cuts in one direction. Also you can't tip a powered hacksaw up by 90 degrees and use it as a vertical bandsaw.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

I asked exactly the same question a couple of months ago, and I see that Kevin has already provided the answer for you. To be honest, I thought an older hacksaw would be cheaper (wrong!) and some of the Ajax ones I looked at would cut up to 6" x 8" I think, and you never know when you *might* want the extra capacity. I also thought that an old hacksaw would be a bit more durable, but everyone anywhere who has one of these bandsaws and neglected and abused it has prety much disproved my theory. Jonathan (Barnes) threw a googly into the mix with the thought that a circular cut-off saw is up for consideration too. Regards

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill