Head riser block

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a head riser block for a Warco VMC milling machine ? I heard they used to be advertised in ME magazine etc but I can't find an ad in any of the issues I have.

Thanks,

David

Reply to
mangled_us

I bought one of these many years ago for my Myford VMC from an advert in ME (or was it EIM??). ISTR that it was a one man enterprise that was supplying them and that he said he was stopping producing them soon.

I would think that one would not be too hard to make from some thick wall tube, 1/2" steel plate and getting a local blacksmith/steel worker to weld it up. Machining should be just about within the capacity of a ML7 or similar or a boring head on the VMC itself.

I would avoid the temptation to make the riser too tall. The extra 'daylight' under the quill is useful but if you are using small cutters direct in a collet, there can be a problem with small workpieces held in a low profile vice.

My riser lifts the head by 98mm. If you need any more info then feel free to ask.

HTH

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks for your reply. I really need to know the contact details of the supplier so I can try to get hold of one, but if you can tell me whether it must be hollow or not then I'd be grateful ? Also, I don't really understand why it would need boring out - mightn't it just be easier to turn one down from a solid piece of CI ?

I agree with your comments about not making it too tall but I've just bought a modular machine vice from Chronos and when this is attached to the tilt/swivel adaptor the height of the vise won't fit below the spindle. I don't suppose I really need to get the spindle any closer to the table than an inch or so, and that with a collet chuck fitted so 100mm shouldn't have any negative effect, or have you found different ?

Thanks again,

David

Reply to
mangled_us

Hi David,

I can't recall any reason to make it hollow. All it needs are registers turned top and bottom and two holes running from top to bottom for the bolts. I sometimes hold a milling cutter in an R8 collet for absolute minimal overhang from the quill bearing and workpieces bolted direct to the table hence my suggestion of not making the riser too high. As long as you consider the range of workholding and cutter holding you might need, which it sounds like you are, then making a custom riser should be OK. I can't imagine the rigidity will suffer with a taller riser.

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin