Anyone heard about Aircraft Machine Corp Milling machines?

Some one offering me an "Aircraft Machine Corp." Milling machine. I can't find anything about it. Does anyone heard about such mills?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Best bet is to inspect the mill and take a digital camera along.

Post the pics in the dropbox and see what that brings.

Chances are pretty good that the mill bears at least a family resemblance to several others, but could have been a private label installed on a brand name mill.

The dropbox is at

Follow the instructions there. Jot down any other information that may appear on any tags or labels on the machine, as well as the basic dimensions (table size, height, motor hp, spindle taper, etc)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

IRRC that was the brand of a small "Lincoln" type milling machine that my former employers had when I first started. It was later replaced by the Abene that I currently have.

It was a interesting machine for a horizontal. The head moved up and down a set of ways that could be rotated horizontally in a full circle. Basically if you take a machine line a Shoptask or other similar 3 in one machine. Remove the headstock, tailstock, and replace the headstock with a rotating set of ways standing vertical, install a milling head similar to that on Gingery's home made mill (but much heavier) and you've got it. It had a hydraulic power feed for the table (with provisions for screw movement as well). All in all a interesting machine capable of medium duty horizontal milling but with some drawbacks as well.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Wayne,

thanks for the information. What are the main drawbacks of this design?

Thank

Wayne Cook wrote:

Reply to
Alex

The main drawback is the slightly lower rigidity compared to a normal horizontal mill (but it's more rigid than most vertical mills this size). The hydraulic power feed can be troublesome but works if taken care of properly. Then there was the small size. It had a pretty small table one it. Oh yeah it had a B&S taper in the spindle which are harder to find (and remove if you happen to tighten the drawbar to tight).

As with any horizontal mill it takes some getting used to on how to setup your work. This mill had the addition of somewhat different controls which also took some getting used to.

Reply to
Wayne Cook