warco zx-15 or chester champion

Hi All,

Has anyone purchased the warco zx-15 or chester champion mill? If s can you comment on the quality and usability please? I am thinking of going for one as i can't find medium sized second han mill. Would like to know of any short comings or any plus features.

Many Thanks

Colin Heat

-- colinheat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- colinheath's Profile:

this thread:

colinheath

The obvious drawbacks with this machine are the round column and the limited spindle speeds. Having said that, I bought the Chester version several years ago and have found it to be an excellent machine (above reservation aside). I still have it but have upgraded to a larger Warco dovetail column machine.

Although the Warco Super major (or what ever it's called) is a better and bigger all round machine, I have to say that overall the accuracy and finish obtainable with the Champion is probably a little better (obviously for smaller stuff).

I know it's more expensive but had you considered the X3 from Arc Euro Trade (and others)? It has dovetailed column and otherwise similar capacities.

Mark

Mark_Howard

Hi Colin,

I have been using the Warco version for just over a year.

Soon after delivery the lead screw end float adjustments worked loose and I had to modify the locking ring by adding a grub screw to fix it

- no problems there since.

A common complaint is that you loose register when lowering or raising the head. With a little planning and forethought applied to each job problems can be avoided using a dial guage or even just a wobbler.

If taking heavy cuts, and I mean making blue swarf, make sure the head/column locking lever is really tight.

Lowest speed is a bit high. Too high for slitting saws but then speed controllers are getting to be cheap.

Biggest plus for me was the long x-travel for such a small machine, great for machining axlebox slots.

All told I beleive it is good value.

Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

I went through this decision - the speed range on the Chester /ZX15 was too restricted for a general purpose machine. I bought a Warco drill mill in the end for MT3 tooling. I'm pleased with the machine, but if I was to make the decision now, 18 months on I'd buy an X3 from ARC and test if an R8 taper would be better than MT3. I find the MT3 can need quite a belt to release and there is something not right about belting a precison machine with a lump hammer and brass drift!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hi All,

Thanks for the help! I have had a look at the warco mill drill and i seems to be a large machine for 75 quid more. I am also torn with th dovetail column decision. Thanks a lot Coli

-- colinheat

this thread:

colinheath

replying to colinheath, Paul wrote: I have just bought a Warco ZX-15 from the widow of an engineer. Excellent quality but I need an operating manual for it. Any know of where I can get one of borrow one to copy? Thanks, Paul Yates

Reply to
Paul